Marine cam??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

Does anyone have experence using a marine cam in a street rod? An engine builder/dyno guy-friend, recommended a marine cam for my 350/powerglide rat rod... Says it will give a nice/flat low end torque curve. Tis a rat rod... Its old, i'm old... Dont need 7000 rpm. Jus want the grunt...
D/b

I've heard.....

Does anyone have experence using a marine cam in a street rod? An engine builder/dyno guy-friend, recommended a marine cam for my 350/powerglide rat rod... Says it will give a nice/flat low end torque curve. Tis a rat rod... Its old, i'm old... Dont need 7000 rpm. Jus want the grunt...
D/b

in the day, I heard that there was a reverse rotation cam for chevies that made the engine run in verse order for Marine Apps.... or so I was told..... I don't know the specs for a marine cam vs street cam but would think that an RV type grind would be tame enough for the street but pull well at lower RPMs.... shorter duration high lift 1500 to 5000 rpm vs the rump rump cams with tons of duration that only work above 3000 RPM..... I would think that most stock V8 boats don't go much over 3500 to 4000 so they would be gound more like the RV type cams for low end grunt.... hope that helps.....[S

a freind of mine runs one in his derby car dont know any specs on it but it works great for him definatly has more low end than than the stock cam,if i already had one i would use it but if i was buying new i might lean towards the rv cam

Thats what is supposed to be in my 4.3 V6. To tell you the truth it's pretty mild, but does have plenty of torque. Me I'm looking to try 1.6 rockers on the intake to try to get a little more lift, and maybe a little more rumble!! I wouldn't recommend it, but I guess it depends on what you want.

They do have good low end torque and power. They also come in both, norm. and rev. rotation. (twin engine).
I used to run one in a round tracker stock car,(rev.rotation) to get the eng.tq. to help pull it down/through, in/out of the corner. :D

'Cheater!"

edelbrock performer cam is a good one.
I like the competition cams 268 grind too
194 valve heads running 9:1 compression and a cc 268 cam 650 carb and perf. dual plane intake and 1.75" headers will net you around 330 hp
I built a couple of those. I had one in a 75 c20 full time 4x4 that got 10 mpg in town and up to 15 on the highway... full time 4x4 4:11 gears 4" lift and 36x12.50 goodyear wrangler II's
My favorite intake on that combo or grunt was the holly 650 double pumper. and the weiand 8000 dual plane intake.
I put on a 650 edelbrock carb and performer intake and picked up some reliability (no power valve to go out) but lost a little power on the passing gear

106 and 108 degree lobe centers are good for racing cams
112-114 degree lobe centers are good for torque and midrange

you can take the lift and duration of a mid level lumpy cam (that's probably running tight lobe centers) and smooth it out by spec-ing that lift and duration on a wider lobe center angle like 112-114 degrees

While increasing lift and duration does increase your overlap...
Tightening the lobe center increases overlap too.
that's good for upper rpm breathing but it hurts lower rpm vacuum and torque.

overlap is the period of time measured in degrees of crank rotation that the exhaust valve is still open while the intake valve is open too.
Yes it is true...the intake valve opens before the exhaust valve closes...

it's the overlap that makes a cam rumpy. Exhaust reversion at lower rpm's back into the cylinder is the culprit. at higher rpm the inertia from the exhaust speeding out of the cylinder pulls in air fuel better then just atmospheric pressure from the carb.

you can increase low end power and keep a stock idle by running 2:02 valves instead of 1.94's...
by running a 3 angle valve job,
and by going a little bigger on lift and duration without increasing your overlap.

there is alot to be gained in tuning your engine (cam, valves, carb,intake,headers, etc) without making the thing radical.
going too big on the parts can hurt performance also
the lumpy idle isn't what makes power, it's the result of a tradeoff.
the engine is running rough because of low vacuum signals to the carb and uneven cylinder filling. It is actually making less power than it is capable of...at the rpm that it sounds rough.
but it sure sounds good
\
Your maxed out engine isn't going to make any more bottom power beyond a certain point. after that you have to spin it faster to find more power.
the catch 22 is that tuning for upper rpm power takes away from an optimum lower end tuning.

I put together a 460 for my pickup that puts out 375 horsepower at 4500 rpm, 450 ft/lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and gets about 8 mpg city and 10-11 highway in a full time 4x4...not much less than a 350.
It idles smooth as silk and sings like a hell when you open it up.
I can be rolling along at 60 mph with a car on a trailer and pull out in the left lane and pick up 10-15 mph in a few seconds.

maximum horsepower and torque!
Hydraulic roller, fair idle. Strong power increase in mildly modified engines with excellent throttle response. Will work with stock converter in 383 and up size engines or 2200 RPM stall speed converter in 305-350 cubic inch engines. Likes 3.23-3.73 rear gears. - Also the largest cam for inboard/outboard marine applications.

•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/278
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515/.530
•LSA/ICL: 112/106
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 1800-5800

Just bought this one but it says it will work in a boat.
putting it in a 406 small block

I forgot about the roller cams... never had one but they are good

Rollers are great but the cost is a factor...

between the cam and the items you need to use it, it's 4 or 5 hundred dollars.... JMHO

I plan to use a Comp marine cam in my project. Talked to them a couple months ago and they approve stating that the flat curve would work great. If you think about it a marine engine needs alot of torque thru out the rpm range.

^^what he said^^^ But! you need the exh.to breath better for the street.(any for that matter)

As Mentioned above, another poster, the RV cam will give you want you want and alot cheaper !

(can you say;"Boat"..)
It's like ordering a part for a Corvette, that will fit other Chevys, only cost you more, cause it's for a Vet.!?

RV Cam would be my choice !

Cam

This is the one I used in a buggy one time, it was all torque and affordable for my budget at the time.

Brand COMP Cams
Manufacturer's Part Number 12-231-2
Part Type Camshafts
Product Line COMP Cams Xtreme 4x4 Camshafts
Summit Racing Part Number CCA-12-231-2
UPC 36584038184

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 600-4,600
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 206
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 214
Duration at 050 inch Lift 206 int./214 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 250
Advertised Exhaust Duration 258
Advertised Duration 250 int./258 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.432 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.453 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.432 int./0.453 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 111
Computer-Controlled Compatible No
Grind Number CS X4 250H-11
Valve Springs Required Yes
Quantity Sold individually.

Latest posts

Back