Me thinkin' blower!?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well I've always wanted a huffer & my buddy put a 142 Weiand on his car & that sucker is pretty kool! Always thought I'd end up puttin' one on my Nailhead & now I sorta wantin' to. Anyone ever run one of these?!

I wondered what kind of compression ratio my Nail had & have always run Premium gas in it. When gas was peakin' I decided to throw in some Plus to see how it would do... ran perfect. Then one day as a lark... I decided to run some regular & same thing... no prob & it didn't diesel when I shut it off so I'm guessin' it has around 8.5:1?!? That would be perfect for a lil power adder... don't cha think?!

BoB

I've talked to lots of guys with street rods running those blowers and also the B & M small units. Not a single complaint from any of them. Googling around suggests up to 9 to 1 compression is okay. Boost ranges from 4 to 8 lbs.

You should calculate your compression ratio to be sure you will have no problems. I believe a big cam allows you to run a higher compression ratio.

Hopefully Tired Iron GRB will see your post and offer his (much better) expertise.

Blower. [dr

To the best of my understanding, those little huffers work well with stock engines because of their small displacement and low boost numbers (Like bob said). Makes sense if your CR isn't too high and you wanna keep the cast pistons. I think you biggest challenge will be finding a manifold and suitable drive setup for your nailhead.

Of course, my excessive nature says call Hampton and go 6-71. :D

Just about a month ago, I sold my car with a blower. Like Don, I had always wanted one. It was a 355 Chebbie with a 671 Wieand kit. It would make 10-12 lbs of boost. I never had it on a dyno so I don't know how munch power it really made. Different desk top dynos would estimate 2 hp per cubic inch @ 10 lbs of boost. Compression was 8.2 and ran fine on pump hi test.
newtfinished5.jpg

I have wanted one forever I guess, every car I drew as a kid had a huffer on it:D

I say go for it..:D:D
When the deal came along recently on this B&M I couldn't pass it up..Here it is test fit on my junker..

2012100795182554.jpg

RPM, I see you were running Edelbrocks on yours, glad to see it, thats what I'm planning to use on mine but wasn't sure how well they would work..What did you use for a balancer on it, I'm not finding much so far that my lower drive pulley will bolt to..

thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
I love my blower cars. I have a 6-71 on a big inch smallblock in my second gen camaro and a 142 in my 3rd gen. The little 142 does real well for itself and gets fairly good gas mileage. Some day I wanna put one on my sedan in place of the tunnel RAM.

Tripper I think your are on the right track....remember the shirts back in the day that had a duece coupe with a blower hanging on out the hood that read: " injection is nice, but I rather be.....(you fill in the blanks...trying to keep it p.g. rated) ??[cl

Thanks for the flatbottom video, Don. [cl Add mechanical injection to the wish list!

No, Mr's Tripper Claus knows much better........Tripper is NEVER a good boy. :D Don

Good point. :D

Now you have me worried... bad boys always have an ulterior motive... which makes me wonder if we can expect a bill for $472. :eek: :D

I wish I had a better photo, but here's how I became hopelessly addicted to blowers. (There's a gorgeous 14-71 Mooneyham hiding in there).

QCRStoon.jpg

Latest posts

Back