mechanical brakes???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93blazer4dr

i think thats what they are called if i remember right. they have a metal rod going back to the brakes. does anyone still run these and if not how did they change them over to a drum brake with a brake booster??
i know i can go with a s10 or camaro rear end
thanks

Last edited:
If you have ever driven a car with mechanical brakes you know where the term "white knuckles" originated ! :eek: They are scarey at best, don't even consider them, especially driving in 2011 traffic.

Funny story about mechanical brakes. Henry Ford was a cheap SOB and tried to milk something as long as he could to save the cost of changing it. When everybody else (GM, Chysler, etc) was going to improved hydraulic brakes, Henry tried to convince customers mechanical brakes were better because you had steel rods instead of hoses working the brakes. "Steel is stronger". :D:D That only worked for a while and finally in 49 he had to concede and go to hydraulics himself.

Don

ya made a typo, don....it was 39 when ford had hydraulic brakes....(i know you know, that's why i said typo)
39 was the only year for the "wide 5" bolt pattern and hyd. brakes...
most everyone used 40 brakes on the old stuff...it was hydraulic and the regular bolt pattern allowed options on wheels...
and other than restored originals that are trailered or paraded the old mech. brakes should be avoided...

Henry tried to convince customers mechanical brakes were better because you had steel rods instead of hoses working the brakes. "Steel is stronger".

Yep he held out as long as he could. Another one of his anti-hydraulic sayings was "Lose a line, Lose a life". He definitely knew how to pinch a penny...

In 1957-58 I drove a '35 Ford with mechanical brakes as my daily driver. I installed "floaters" which helped equalize the braking pressure between the front and rear shoes in each brake drum. Every Saturday I adjusted the brakes. Had the emergency brake set up to lock one rear wheel. Can't tell you how many cars I rear ended at stop lights. Almost always just a light tap. Cars had real bumpers back then and there was never any damage. Well, except for the tail lights on that lowered Merc...

Short answer; don't leave your property without hydraulic brakes.

Hehe, I bet you dreaded stop signs and red lights. :eek::D About 12 years ago a buddy and I helped another guy in the car club I was in get his stock Model A running. After it fired up we adjusted the brakes and took it for a spin. I had forgotten how much pedal pressure it took and how ineffective the mechanical brakes were until it was my turn to drive. :eek: That ride confirmed why I am a hot rodder and not a restorer.

Don

Latest posts

Back