mid 40's chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cprince09

Well guys (and gals) I pickup up a 41-46 chevy 1 1/2 ton, I think, I'm still working on trying to figure out what year it is since the vin plate is gone. Anyways all I plan on using is the cab. This will be a very slow build since im a full time broke student and will be living an hour away from it come August. It looks like it was wrecked pretty bad because the frame is cut in half and rewelded right behind the cab and the bottom half of the rear of the cab has been replaced (with a thin piece of sheet metal) I'll have to replace that. Other than that the body is pretty solid. Only one small dent on both rear corners. There was a pretty decent dent in the roof but I already made quick work on it with a sledge hammer :D there is not much rot. Just some on the lower driver door and a few holes in the rear. Oh yeah and the lower front corners of the cowl.

The guy I bought the truck from has had it for 20 years and did nothing with it.

3-25-12031.jpg

3-25-12030.jpg

3-25-12028.jpg

3-25-12052.jpg

Last edited:
Looks alot like mine when I first got it :) They are a really nice truck I am pretty much finishede with mine other than little stuff interior wise to finishe up

Welcome from the big pond. Beautiful truck with great patina and that grill should be chrome underneath all that paint! I look forward to following your progress.

Toad

And here is a few of the rotted areas

Lower cowl passenger side
3-25-12043.jpg

Lower cowl driver side
3-25-12041.jpg

3-25-12040.jpg

These look almost like someone took a torch to it or something
3-25-12039.jpg

And a engine shot
3-25-12038.jpg

Well its at least a 42-46, because the door lock was in the handle on 41s.you didnt show it in your pics but the vin supposed to be on the pass side under the hood on side of firewall.

Attachments

• 3-25-12031.jpg
    3-25-12031.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
That looks like a sweet truck, kind of reminds me of CORPO’s when he first started.

haha.. that thing is in great shape compared to where I started.. Mine is also a 36

Looks good though.. good luck!

Ok so I got a little more done today. I got the front clip off and the cab braced up on the bottom. I have a question though, before I chop the top do I need to take this "inner wall" off. It's on the back wall and it is clamped around the back window.

IMG_0196.jpg

Here is a pic of it attached to the back window
IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Also how do I make these pics smaller?

In my opinion, chopping the top with that panel still there may prove difficult as you cant really metal work the outer roof skin with that panel in the way... but I guess if you are not splitting the roof during the chop, it may not be a huge issue, but my personal preference would be to have it out.

I've never seen an older cab with that inner panel... thats interesting.

I agree with the others.. you need to take it out.. its just a inner trim piece..

I've never seen an older cab with that inner panel... thats interesting.

I think all the chevys had that.. my 36 does..

Latest posts

Back