Mig vs stick while welding frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stick welding is preferred by some for frame work....

and they say it's much stronger welds....but I've seen a ton of frame work done with mig and tig....so stick weld to your hearts content...:D

So a common 7018 rod would be ok...or do root with 6011 then cap 7018.. This is gonna be first frame build

Absolutely that will work. I build all my frames this way. I have been a pipeline welder 35+ years and it is the best between the two. Now if you are an ace at tig welding you may get some argument which is better. Far better penetration with the stick.

If you are comparing penetration, the stick will give you more bang for your buck (if you buying a welder). The mig is also good but it would have to be larger enough to get the penetration you looking for. I, too, am a sucker for the old stick bead verses the mig. Don't get me wrong, a mig and tig will lay down some very nice welds without all the splatter. In fact, I have both (mig and stick) and I use them equally. If I'm doing a patch panel, I grab my mig. But as far as ole skol and frame work, I just personally like the stick weld bead looks more...

thumbs_up.gif

Latest posts

Back