Might as well make it official ;o)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62ChevyII

I have been mostly lurking on this site for like a year and a half and have followed a lot of threads on here. Great projects and great people here. I have read so much on here that I feel like I know some of you guys already. I was surprised the other day to notice I only had a handful of posts on here so I figured I should go ahead and do post up an intro.

I'm in Wichita Ks., been toyin' with cars most of my life, grew up around my Uncle's body shop... He's the one who corrupted me at the age of 6 or so when he took me for a ride in his 65 GTO with a rowdy 389 and 4 speed. He also raced dirt cars for several years so that pretty well sealed my need for speed fate at an early age.

I have a 62 ChevyII drag car that I built from the ground up. It took me several years to build but I did the majority of the work myself so it was a labor of love. It's powered by a 327 and a 4 speed. Here's a shot of it at the track back in 2001, been parked since then, hoping to get it going again before too long.:

Russracecarfront2.jpg

We also have a 62 ChevyII wagon that my wife and I have owned since about 1991. We are the second owners of the car, it had just over 16k actual miles on it when the old lady that owned it originally passed away. It still had the original paint on it and it was still in decent shape. My wife drove it for a while as a daily driver... got into a little fender bender so I had to repaint it in the mid 90s. a few years ago I swapped out the 194/3spd for a 383 and a TKO600 5 Speed. It is a fun little weekend toy now:

HPIM1490.jpg

That brings us to the "rat" LOL. I have been tinkering for a while now with this 48 5 window that I put on an S10 chassis. I don't have a lot of time to mess with it but I am gaining on it slowly. This is a shot from several months ago. I have quite a bit more done since this pic but I don't have any full view shots that are current:

truckjan012009031.jpg

Then there's this Olds I have... a someday maybe project:

feb09007.jpg

Hoping to make this out of it someday:

40Oldssketch.jpg

Like your drawing, reminds me of a 'Dirt Modified'. Go with bench seats front and back, you could take everybody. That would be a blast.

Its good to have a plan, the Olds could look bitchin', I hope thats an Olds engine up front.

It's just a generic "engine" for the sketch.;) I have a good buddy (TW7256 on here) who is a die hard Olds guy and he is pushing for an Olds motor too. I guess it will depend what I find when the time comes.

Like your drawing, reminds me of a 'Dirt Modified'. Go with bench seats front and back, you could take everybody. That would be a blast.

Yeah, we have 5 kids, so if I build it I will have to put as much seating in it as I can.:D

welcome to the RRR! those are nice projects you got there...i like each one of them[cl

just wondering how a guy w/5 kids ever gets any shop time[S (got 3 myself and it is sometimes a challenge;))

lets see some more pics of em all!!!![dr

just wondering how a guy w/5 kids ever gets any shop time[S (got 3 myself and it is sometimes a challenge;))

Hey Preacher, I don't get a lot of garage time, that's why this "quicky" ratrod build is taking so long, LOL! I built the race car before we had kids then when were getting ready for the 3rd one I parked it. Then 4th and 5th came and I sold my enclosed trailer and the engine and trans out of the race car to fund the drive train makeover of the wagon and various other little projects.

The kids are getting old enough now that they can "help" me in the garage when I can pry them away from the darn video games. The ratrod project has been a good project to break them in on... if something gets scratched I don't have to go to jail for child abuse:p

Here's the whole crew when we rolled it outside for a couple shots a while back.

truckjan012009042.jpg

I don't know if I will have time to start a whole build thread on the truck or not. I have a very detailed build thread over on that "other" site but I dunno if it is okay to link to that here or not. I can post up a few pics though here in a bit.

Okay, here's what we started with... pretty much a basket case I picked up cheap and in the background the 89 S10 we snagged the frame and other odds and ends from.

1948Chevytruckproject015.jpg

We used the floor and inner fenders from the S10 bed.

feb08007.jpg

I got the bumper mounted a while back

bumper005.jpg

I put a GT Mustang T5 behind a stock 305, this was when I was starting to fab the tunnel.

truckjan172009003.jpg

Seat out of an 88 Chevy full sized truck fit perfect but I had to cut away the factory riser that was in the floor. You can see the S10 column and pedals too.

truckproject03-17-09002.jpg

Recently finished replacing the floors and kick panels.

visor001.jpg

truckproject10-14-09005.jpg

TW7256 hooked me up with a visor which I really dig!

visor002.jpg

An under hood shot of the wagon.

engine.jpg

The only other digital pic I have of the race car... I didn't even own a digital camera the last time thing this saw the light of day, lol.

Russracecarside.jpg

Thanks Gastrick and Bonehead!

Bonehead I am a big fan of your artwort. The kind of stuff you do is kinda what I have daydreamed about doing myself (cool stuff out of metal). I went to Colorado Institute of Art in Denver and got a commercial art degree but even before I graduated, couldn't stand the snooty enviroment of that field (I guess I've always been a rat rodder at heart, lol) so I went to work in aircraft manufacturing (over 20yrs now), I am an NC Programmer for a large aircraft manufacturer. I did sign painting and T-shirt designs on the side for race teams and stuff like that for years as a way to fund my car habits. Now that we have 5 kids, there isn't much time for that stuff and I am lucky to get time to tinker on cars much less dabble with art. That stuff you build sure gets my creative juices going though Bonehead!

I'm all about the OLDS , if you build it like the drawing it will be untouchable ! I also have a chevy truck of that style and like the seat you used . It looks like a good fit and comfortable to boot . I also have 5 kids so seating is a premium with me also ! Welcome from alabama !!! [cl

welcome chevy II

Welcome aboard to RRR, there seems to be a great bunch of guys here, my son lives in Topeka Kansas so I spend at least a week a year out there, I love your neck of the woods. Gonna be moving there as soon as I can. Love your old truck build. I have a similar project about 1/3 done. I followed a build similar to yours elseware on the web. Doing a smelly ole rat 53 truck to keep it company. That Chevy II looks pretty cool too. Used to race a roundy round one back in the late 1970's. This place rocks for sure. Enjoy..:)))

Latest posts

Back