Mini-Tech...Custom Hubcap Centers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
This isn't much but it was a fun little project.

My dad wanted some new 57 Cadillac hubcaps (or wheel covers if you prefer) for his Mercury but he didn't want the Cadillac medallions in the center. He didn't want bullets either. After picking his noggin for a few minutes I came up with a plan and made some centers. He likes them so I guess I won't have to fire myself thus week.

I procured some Mercury Man emblems and grabbed some stainless plate we had in the back room.

I removed the oem medallions from the habcaps and used them as a guide to make the replacements. I know these could have been made even simpler but I wanted them to fit and fasten as if they came that way, and as a bonus, they can be replaced at any time with something else or the Cadillac medallion can be re-installed.

I measured and marked some circles of the appropriate size and rough cut them on the band saw. I center drilled them so I could sandwich them together using some threaded rod and nuts.

I'll post the rest in a minute.

After turning the centers to size and cutting in a lip that allows them to install from the rear as the oem pieces did, I cut reliefs for the mounting tabs on the band saw and cleaned them up with a hand file. I also drilled holes to mount "Mercury Man".

I then polished the stainless centers on a buffing wheel and painted the emblems. They will be gold plated at a later date.

As I final detail touch, I turned a groove in the face and painted the inside of the groove black to match the outer part of the hubcaps.

Here's a finished center installed in the hubcap. Not much to it but they look pretty nice we thought.

Last edited:
Wow Bill!!!!! Looks like it came from the factory...you and Don never cease to amaze me.....as was said earlier...its the little things!!! Good job..those oughta leave some scratching their heads...[S. :D

Latest posts

Back