Mock up 39 chevy PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezy

Not on here alot but have been collecting ideas for my own build. Not the wheels I plan on running but just for an idea where they will be placed. Frame rails are done just need to get cross members in so I can get it rolling. Bed will need shortened alot. Started out as a BIG truck. Slowly getting it trimmed down to size. Any pics of trucks like this with any info to share is welcome.

Attachments

• 2012-10-31_16-59-53_945.jpg
    2012-10-31_16-59-53_945.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 2012-10-31_17-00-33_983.jpg
    2012-10-31_17-00-33_983.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 39 mock up.jpg
    39 mock up.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 266
work

a lot of work doing a frame up build, done quite a few, but very worth it 'couse in the end it's all your'e ideas coming to life.

be watching[P

Later :cool:

It is in awesome shape maybe 3 dents and only rust was bottom of cowl behind fender mounting. I'm thinking a bud light beer can patch for those.

Ok been a little slow on the truck, lots of work at my real job. But got the frame perimeter built and mounted the rearend in it tonight. Also found some pretty killer front wheels. I'll try and post some pics.

Attachments

• my frame.jpg
    my frame.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 103
  • skinny wheel.jpg
    skinny wheel.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 90
I think it is going to be a little higher than I wanted. 8-9 inches to bottom of frame. Should have kicked up more in the front. For my first time I can live with it. Front suspension this weekend and maybe sit the cab on. I'll pile as much wieght on that I can find and see where that gets me. SBC and a turbo tranny weighs 600 or so right??

Better to be sitting up at the start... besides you can go with lower rate springs later if you want to bring it down some if you need to after all the weight is on the frame.

Bus today. chugging right along. Had to grind on steering arms to get them to set against spindle[S. Not sure why when you buy a so called kit from Speedway stuff doesn't fit. No tech on Sundays:mad: This is a hobby for me and probably alot of other people. They should have some help on the weekends.Had some bolts left over and some tappered bushings. Not sure what to do with these. No instructions on installing spring plate. Had to drill hole out to go over center bolt nut. WHY DOESN'T THIS STUFF WORK RIGHT. Anyhow here's pics of progress so far.

Attachments

• my truck.jpg
    my truck.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 91
  • my  rruck2.jpg
    my rruck2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 97
  • my truck1.jpg
    my truck1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 87
Got the hood and grill backon today. had to cut 6 or so inches of he gottom of grill sides. Found a s-10 manual steering gear for 20 bucks. Anybody using one of these for cross steer? I've seen a few but not many. Little more adjusting on hood tomorrow then maybe start on the bed.

Attachments

• 39 hood.jpg
    39 hood.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 39 grill.jpg
    39 grill.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 70
I'm not sure about running those wheels. I've read that those temp spare wheels are thinner and lighter weight than regular steel wheels, and not as strong. I also heard that they were designed to be thrown away when the tire wears out, less than 500 miles or so. I'd check the out real good first before I committed to running them.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.....

Tires will be replaced. Wheels are proven on other projects, never had any trouble. I would rather have something different but used wheels are not cheap anymore. And 15 inch wheels are a thing of the past it seems. Car rallys are just stupid high. The ole 20 dollar wheels are long gone.

Busy again today. Done some fine tunning on hood and grill. Put a couple bolts in the cab so it won't move around. Got the bed cut down and clamped on. I started with a big truck. Built my own frame and ordered front end from sppedway. Picked up s-10 manual steering box today 20 bucks:). I thoght I posted a pic of frame. I will put one here. Also how close can my rear tire be to bed. I wish I would have gotten a camaro rear. Maybe have to get different ofset on rear wheels. I really don't want to narrow the bed. Anyhow here's my update for today.

Attachments

• my frame.jpg
    my frame.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 39 long bed.jpg
    39 long bed.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 39 short bed.jpg
    39 short bed.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 67
Done a little today. Cab mounts are bolted to cab just need welded to frame. Worked on column and seat mounts.

Attachments

• 39 column.jpg
    39 column.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 39 seat.jpg
    39 seat.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 45
  • seat n column.jpg
    seat n column.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 39
Looks cool Breezy! What is the seat out of? I was going to use 85 Camaro buckets but like that bench. You'll have to come to KC for Greaserama this year. Good time and lots of cool rats.

Latest posts

Back