Mocking up another pile of parts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJinaTJ

I am trying to go a little more traditional on this one (to an extent), but thought you guys may still be interested..

traditional_style_roadster_1.jpg

traditional_style_roadster_3.jpg

I say leave the front tire where it is. looks more like an old school race car that way. just my $.02[cl[P

Yes I like the front tire where it is also, more TRADITIONAL looking. The suicide stretched out front is not the best look for most rods.

No, not saying suicide front end, but hot rods, especially traditional ones, look best if the radiator is right on top of the axle so the center of the wheel in right in line with it. As you have it mocked up it just makes the front look too blunt. When you look at the car from the side you want to see that radiator back in the very center of the wheel.

Some people put the radiator out front like you have it, but it just doesn't look proportional or right. If so many of us saw the exact same thing it must be a problem, it jumps right out at you.

Don

Here are some pictures of some very traditional rods mocked up, this will show you what we are talking about.

profile3.jpg

profile2.jpg

profile6.jpg

profile5.jpg

See how much better it looks if the radiator is in line with the axle?

Don

ah, I see what you are saying Don. When I first looked at the pic it looked like the tire was right at the radiator. I was thinking that people were saying to push the axle way out front suicide style. So I change my vote to move it forward right under the radiator! :D

I say leave the front tire where it is. looks more like an old school race car that way. just my $.02[cl[P

That was kind of my thought. I was told by the previous owner (they will tell you anything) that the car was a race car in the 60's, hence the reason for no doors and welded in tubes for the belt line. I thought it would look nice being built as a racer.

The rest of the car looks great mocked up as is. The other advantage of moving your axle out further is that it will handle and ride a lot better with the longer WB.

A little suggestion for anyone who is building a car from scratch. Leave an extra inch or two for engine room more than you think you will need. No matter how many of these we do, we always end up with less room for fan or distributor clearance than we thought. We learn something new on every one we do, and the one area we are really going to do different on the next ones is leave extra space around everything.

Don

A little suggestion for anyone who is building a car from scratch. Leave an extra inch or two for engine room more than you think you will need. No matter how many of these we do, we always end up with less room for fan or distributor clearance than we thought. We learn something new on every one we do, and the one area we are really going to do different on the next ones is leave extra space around everything.

Definitely what he said!!! :eek:

BoB

That's the good thing about building a custom frame, I used the stock frame on my '30 Coupe and had to set the engine back in the cowl pretty deep (I added a little extra because of my "Blower Fetish").

OK, I also agree with that look, and if I have learned anything from this site, its that DON's suggestions and tips are always right on the money and I always appreciate the time and effort he puts in his answers.

Sorry for the horrible picture from my camera phone, but here is the look I think I am going for. I am going to work on getting it rolling this weekend and will get better photos.

roadster.jpg

Latest posts

Back