Model A truck top chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty 1

I have a 31 Ford truck and would like to have the top chopped 4 inches. I do not have the tools to do the chop myself. What would I expect to pay someone to perform the work plus the windshield frame?
Rusty 1

You can chop a Model A truck with a hacksaw. You could buy the tools you need to do the job and have money left over wit what you pay someone to do it. If you don't have the tools your going to need them for a build anyway.

Welcome to RRR!

Dmw is right, that chop is about as easy as it can get. If you are building it as a rusty rat, a hacksaw, a borrowed MIG welder, and a glass cutter will do the job.

Before you do anything, sit on a bucket and stare at it for an hour or two thinking through exactly what you'll do and how, post some pics, and ask questions.

Do you weld?

What Sam said.....and then take that bucket, or something about the same height as your seat, sit inside it and tape cardboard along the top of the windows - reducing your sight line to the proposed chop amount....I spent hours in and out of mine, negotiating between how much chop and how much could I stand to drive it chopped.....

At least in my car, I had the room to move the seats around, tip them back slightly, etc etc..you won't have that luxury...you are pretty well stuck with a very small cab. It also depends on how tall you are....

Either way, think long and hard before you cut. I'm not slaggin you, just don't want to see you go wrong...

Yes, the whole measure twice (more like 10 times) and cut once is in effect here as well.
Spend a lot of time marking off with tape or other means and make sure when you make your cuts, its what you figured for the chop.

Don't forget to brace the body well so that it stays square and true when the top is removed.

If you search the build thread section, there are plenty of builds of the 30s trucks which would help you see how others have done it.

But everyone has a skill level and comfort level. No one will fault you if you have someone do the chop for you, there is a time for learning but that time may not be now if it is out of your comfort zone or skill level.

Post up some pictures when you get a chance!

Agreed with all of the above.
4" is a reasonable chop on a Model A. But as has been stated set it up, sit in it and see how it feels.
Compared to many, A's are a simple chop as the roof's are very square. But if it's your first. It's still your first.:)
There are many sites as well as U-tube posts that will walk you thru it. Also don't be afraid to ask for help.
As far as costs go to have it done. I have never paid to have a car chopped so I would only be guessing. But as to the amount of time spent. It should be able to be done in a day as there is really no fabricating of panels to be done.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Torchie.

Make friends with somebody who has done it. Hang out with them to find out what tools are needed and more importantly...how to use those tools effectively.

Buying beer and pizza to watch/help somebody work on their project will go a long way towards making your project better.

Before you do anything, sit on a bucket and stare at it for an hour or two thinking through exactly what you'll do and how, post some pics, and ask questions.

Do you weld?

Yeah, that would be about 90% of my builds, setting and staring. But it can also result in tearing a lot of stuff back apart if you stare too long, lol.

Top chop

Thanks all for the advice. I do have a friend who chopped a 58 Chevy and it turned out great. Just hate to bug people!

Hacksaw,oxy/act torch and a handful of coat hangers is what I used on my first chop. haven't gotten too far from the process now. I noe have a hammer and a couple of dollies.

Latest posts

Back