Model A

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodSweat&Whiskey

I may use an old model A axle for my next project. It is not going to be a high HP project so not worried about breaking it at the moment. One thing I do not know is if the old model A's were hub centric or lug centric. If anyone can confirm that would be great.

BSW

Sorry should of been more specific. I am all set on the front. I meant the rear end. I have been told that if you run a normal wheel you need an adapter for the bolts were not intended to take the weight. The extended hub surface should. Please let me know if that is correct.

BSW

The old model a wheels centered themselves on the hub. The bolts don't take any weight. Supposedly you can use these wheels on later juice brake hubs if you get the spacer/adapter. The reason is not because of centering, its because the juice brake hubs do not fit flush up against the back of model a wheels. There is a small space in the center, so when you crank down the lug nuts, you can crack the center part of the wheel.

I think just about everyone will say that using model A wheels is not a great idea from a safety perspective. Although Model As weighed almost 3000lbs and had brakes good enough to lock all 4 wheels at highway speed...so I don't know. Im sure they won't take much cornering force though.

A "normal" wheel doesn't work well on an A hub. The raised center piece stresses the center hole, causing the wheel to crack. Just the opposite of using Ford wires on later hubs, where a spacer is needed to take the place of the raised bit.

Latest posts

Back