Modern Tailgate Construction?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

So I'm building my rat to be able to haul stuff, particularly motorcycles.
Problem is, to make the proportions right on the truck, I naturally had to shorten the bed to a more acceptable length. 5'10".
My style of motorcycle is a low and long look. Pro street drivin.
Knowing this, I figure I will likely have the back of the bikes I'm hauling sitting on the tail gate.
I need to build my own tail gate so my question is does anyone have a photo of the guts of a modern tailgate?
I know it'll need to hold some serious weight while going over bumps and what not, and I know I have dragged a lot of crap across my ram's tailgate with little to no deflection.

I'm thinking I'll build mine with a perimeter of square tube stock, but not quite sure what to do in the center yet.

The goal is to avoid this:
http://www.bodyshopzone.com/editorial/about_Toyota/Tundra_quality_problem.html

Last edited:
May be easier to use an old chain style or combine old and new to create what you need.

tailgate-latch-assembly.jpg

May be easier to use an old chain style or combine old and new to create what you need.

tailgate-latch-assembly.jpg

Thanks for that photo snake, I was afraid it was all stamped steel [S

I will defiantly be using hinges off a full size truck, and now I'm thinking the arch the new trucks have built in vertically into them, plays a big part of their strength. Mine is only going to be about 18" tall so it's easy to get strength there, it's the width that gets me.
I'll have over 4 feet of width to make handle (I'm guessing) 600lbs of intermittent weight.
Bike might weigh 350lbs, and some of that will be on the front tire, but then every bump, and the force of stepping a bike down, will bring that weight up.

square tubing perimeter framework, and a couple of internal crossmembers will handle the weight...
i recommend the chains for supports on each end of the tailgate
i used chains similar to what the old trucks had, but put the chains on the inside of the bed to avoid a cluttered look on my louvered tailgate-just a thought :cool:

just a thought

What about some slide out supports that attach to the tailgate, they could slide out below the bed but be securely supported to the frame or other framework under the bed?

If the outside of the gate will be flat it should be fairly simple to construct something sturdy. This would be my idea for something you could trust...

I would build the bottom "hinge" part out of some 3/16" or 1/4" wall tubing of whatever diameter will fit your needs. If you don't have any desire to remove the gate simply get another piece of tubing that is large enough to fit over the outside diameter of the "hinge" tube and weld that to the bed but be sure to reinforce the back as to avoid it being ripped from the body, better yet slug it into the bed.

One you have that done then you can build the perimeter of the gate, but, use some 1x2 or 1x3 3/16" wall for the sides where the straps or chains will attach to. Then build your top bar. Once you have that done make your outside panel. Then cut some 3/16" pieces that will act as the supports inside the gate. Weld them to the back of the outter panel, the top bar and lower hinge bar, then make your inside piece. If you wanted to you could even put slots in the inside panel and plug weld the inner supports to the back panel.

Wow that was long winded, but not bad for off the top of my head lol.

how about a aluminum c channel removable piece that the bike can sit on durning transport. then thrown in the corner at home when not in use

Just get the flat hinged support bars from a 80's or older slabside truck. Build the gate with a square tube or angle iron frame and a couple center bars. Flat 16 sheet for the out skin and use 14 gauge for the inner skin. As for hinges, use tube welded across the bottom sticking out on the ends that go into sockets in the bed sides.

Crazy me, I would put a big piece of channel iron in that is a little longer than your bike. and put a hinge pin at the back of the bed so it would tilt. Pull that same hinge pin when you are not hauling a bike. Make a latch for the forward part to lock down the channel when there is a bike on it.

Over build

If it was me I'd look at the factory and over build. Heavy round tubing at the top and bottom , heavy square or angle on the sides and 14ga or 1/8th" for the middle. Large all thread through the bottom tubing or round stock with heavy brackets on the ends to bolt to the bed so it hinges like normal . It would at Least resemble stock . Easiest was the guys Channel iron or aluminum channel that you could yank out later. Would take about ten min . Not jack with the truck original body and harder to fail

If it was me I'd look at the factory and over build. Heavy round tubing at the top and bottom , heavy square or angle on the sides and 14ga or 1/8th" for the middle. Large all thread through the bottom tubing or round stock with heavy brackets on the ends to bolt to the bed so it hinges like normal . It would at Least resemble stock . Easiest was the guys Channel iron or aluminum channel that you could yank out later. Would take about ten min . Not jack with the truck original body and harder to fail

Not jacking with the trucks original body is not an option :D
347c25c1.jpg

I really like the c rail idea!
I just wasn't sure 2x2 square tubing would be enough to support a bike if needed.
I think ima gonna build it with 2x2 sheeted with 16 gauge and use the pipe idea for the hinges.

On this site I figured it wasn't stock

I ment the factory stamped look. You might have wider tires but I'd bolt 3" aluminum or thinner steel channel to the bed floor with 3/4 grade 8s, 2 or 4 would be plenty and you could yank the bolts out pitch the channel in the back yard and your bed is left with tied down or drain holes

Better yet!

Weld a recess in the back of the cab to hold your from tire to fit the whole bike in the bed and park of the Fn arm rest! hah

Fold out?

If it were me, I would make tailgate out of 1x2 rec tube with braces accordingly
and make a heavy tube hinge !Skin it with 16 or 14 ga. THEN make another (just a bit narrower) tail gate that hangs on the inside and hinge it from the top of the first gate so that when no bike is hauled it hangs down inside and when hauling the bike and main tailgate is down with either flat bar or chains to support it and the other gate folds on out for an extension for the length of the bike!
Like a drop leaf table only upside down!
Understand ?

If it were me, I would make tailgate out of 1x2 rec tube with braces accordingly
and make a heavy tube hinge !Skin it with 16 or 14 ga. THEN make another (just a bit narrower) tail gate that hangs on the inside and hinge it from the top of the first gate so that when no bike is hauled it hangs down inside and when hauling the bike and main tailgate is down with either flat bar or chains to support it and the other gate folds on out for an extension for the length of the bike!
Like a drop leaf table only upside down!
Understand ?

Your in the same track as me! :D
Witt the frame being above the gate line, I wanted to either find 1 good gate from a donor truck and modify it in half so when it's closed, it almost looks like 1 solid normal gate.
The actuall gate part will only be about 12" tall but I want it to,look like a full size gate.

Latest posts

Back