Monster Rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Rat

I'm sitting here trying to remember what I first saw that gave me the itch to build a rat........hmmmm...not sure. I can say that the appeal of building a rat comes from the ability to use several makes/models/years to build something unique. I'm not talking a full on "art" car, but something I can drive in reasonable comfort for a few hours, gets attention, and is fun to drive.

I have always liked old 4x4's so it made sense to build something in that fashion. That, and I operate a 4x4 repair shop in Casper Wy. I needed to build something that represents my business.

Through some trading with a customer I acquired a YJ frame form a guy who stepped up to a new JK Rubicon. These frames make a great platform for building off of. They are fully boxed, somewhat Z'd and fit the 39-46 Chevy cabs almost as if they were made for them.

I found a cab, and a Willy's style Jeep grille. I knew I wanted to run larger tires in the rear, and keep this thing as low as possible, while retain 4wd. This was kinda the idea.
DSCI1131.jpg

I stripped the YJ down and smoothed the unnecessary mounting points.
P5130050.jpg

DSCI1167.jpg

I then set the cab on the frame and began to get a visual image of what I wanted. I was unsure about the chopping it, but I caved in, and the roof lost 4.5" of height.
DSCI1170.jpg

DSCI1185.jpg

DSCI1195.jpg

DSCI1221.jpg

cf.jpg

I was building a '70 Caddy 472 when I ran into some issues with the heads that would cost me a bit more than I figured. A customer says he has a 76 Eldo 500 that he thought I might be interested in. I asked him what he wanted for it, he said "I want you to have it" I was stoked, my engine problem was instantly solved!

I had a TH400/Spicer 20 combo out of a 1971 Jeepster that was originally powered by a Buick 225 V-6. After some work/clearancing I was able to mate the Caddy to the TH400.

The suspension is 4 link'd front and rear. The rear axle is a Sterling 10.25 and the front is a Wide Track Jeep D44. All corners are supported by air bags. I was able to fit the plastic YJ fuel tank back in the truck. It fit really nice forward of the rear axle, as opposed to behind the axle as it was from the factory.
DSCI1384.jpg

I moved the rear axle back probably a good 8-10" from it original location. The front axle was moved forward an addition 8-10" as well. The way I was able to do this (and listen up Jeep guys) was to use a Ford Ranger steering gear. It has the pitman arm off to the front, not the rear like a standard Jeep box. This allowed for stretching the front axle so far. Had to drill and sleeve the frame, but it was so worth the stretch.
DSCI1181.jpg

I don't have many pics of the bed being built, but here is a pic showing the bed with a cut down chevy tailgate, a cut down Jeep gate, and HUGE white walls.
DSCI1377-1.jpg

jt2.jpg

I had a lot of fun building the dash, steering column, steering wheel, etc. The glovebox is an ammo can welded in place, the steering wheel was built from wrenches and a BMX crank arm. The seat is a Ford Ranger seat, well the foam is anyway. The brake master cylinder is mounted to the frame to resemble the way it was in the 39 truck.
DSCI1464.jpg

DSCI1501-1.jpg

DSCI1572.jpg

Here is pretty much how it sits now. I just got my VIN from the state so it will be on the road VERY soon.
DSCI1573.jpg

DSCI1567.jpg

DSCI1565.jpg

Here a few videos of some of the build, and one of it in motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbyE0scwYoc

Looking good !

When I first started reading your post I was not sure about the 4x4 rat idea.[SBUT NOW!!! I LOVE IT![dr You have done a great job! I used to build off road trucks and now building rats and such ! This build takes me back a little bit! Great job![cl

Being that I'm a jeeper myself, I got to say I LOVE IT!!!! That was along the lines of my next project. What was the front axle you used?

nice

l like it, cool concept.

personally, l would keep the tires black walls.

that's the only change l'd make.

put some slicks and run it thru the 1/4 mile just for for fun.:eek:

Later:cool:

I have to agree with everyone else COOL BUILD ! how is the front and rear tire outside diameter difference going to affect the 4x4 part ?

Looks great! I like the white walls. You might need some clearance lights though - sits kinda high for a rat rod. And I'm a little disappointed you didn't suicide the front end. :D

Being that I'm a jeeper myself, I got to say I LOVE IT!!!! That was along the lines of my next project. What was the front axle you used?

A WideTrack Jeep Cherokee axle.

Thanks for all the great comments and support. The tires are indeed painted, Rustoleum Satin White. I'm sure they will require lots of touch-up, but white Swampers had to be done. The axle ratios are set-up to compensate for the 40" rr and the 33" frt tires.

I did rack my brain on a suicide front axle but it would have been really tough getting the front drive shaft to work.

Thanks guys,

MR

Latest posts

Back