Moon, SoCal Speed shop and Peterson visits

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S.

Thanks to my cousin-in-law, who knows the LA area way better than I do, we spent yesterday touring Moon Eyes, the SoCal speed shop and the Peterson Auto Museum. To say the Moon Eyes shop is oozing with hot rod history is an understatement; the SoCal speed shop had several cool builds going and the Peterson Museum is unreal and a visit there should be on every car guy's bucket list. From L to R. (1)The only known sticker for Moon's shop that has the old address when he operated out of a small shop behind his Mom's restaurant. (2)The current shop. (3)The shop where Carrol Shelby built the very first Shelby Cobra (I know, goosebumps huh?). The guy that gave us the tour said there are painted-over sketches on the back wall that Shelby drew as he worked on the Cobra. (4)The very first Drag Master chassis, recently retired after a crash at a nostalgia meet. (5)The very lathe where every Moon aluminum tank is hand spun. (6-7)The Moon dragster with its new chassis. The original Drag Master builder (missed his name) came out of retirement to build this for Moon. (8-10)Jimmy Shine's truck at the SoCal speed shop, complete with a blown flattie.

Attachments

• moon3.jpg
    moon3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 44
  • moon1.jpg
    moon1.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 36
  • moon2.jpg
    moon2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 41
  • moon4.jpg
    moon4.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 38
  • moon6.jpg
    moon6.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 41
  • moon9.jpg
    moon9.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 40
  • moon15.jpg
    moon15.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 41
  • shine3.jpg
    shine3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
  • shine1.jpg
    shine1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 51
  • shine2.jpg
    shine2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 46
Continued...

From L to R. (1)The "Lead Sled" display at Peterson. (2)Prudhome's first rail. (3-4)Art Arfons' salt car. One of the amazing things is that he built it in 2 1/2 years. I am 1 year into my truck and it doesn't even have a chassis! (5) I know, not a rat, but you gotta respect a car that will do 230 mph in stock form. (6)Moon's salt flats roadster getting torn down after blowing up its 10,000 rpm, supercharged, 3-liter engine. That's it. Enjoy!

Attachments

• peterson2.jpg
    peterson2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • peterson6.jpg
    peterson6.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 25
  • peterson9.jpg
    peterson9.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • peterson10.jpg
    peterson10.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 31
  • peterson3.jpg
    peterson3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 27
  • moon5.jpg
    moon5.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Mooneyes puts on my 2 favorite shows, their BBQ and Xmas shows. When I was building my '32, I went to SoCal for a quote for finished body work and paint. They never gave me a quote or called me back. A great shop to visit out here is Hots and Hobbies in Signal Hills. The Petersen has all the best stuff in the basement. Unfortunately it's for V.I.P.'s only.

Mooneyes puts on my 2 favorite shows, their BBQ and Xmas shows. When I was building my '32, I went to SoCal for a quote for finished body work and paint. They never gave me a quote or called me back. A great shop to visit out here is Hots and Hobbies in Signal Hills. The Petersen has all the best stuff in the basement. Unfortunately it's for V.I.P.'s only.

It's funny that you mentioned that about SoCal. They were nice and all of that but the tour seemed forced, like they had to do it versus wanting to show off their shop and cars. Moon was the complete opposite. The young guy who gave us our tour was very cool and really knowledgeable and there was a really cool vibe from all of the employees. I wish I was closer because I would love to go to their shows. I think my cousin-in-law said it best when he said, "There seemed to be a lot more attitude at SoCal." Fun time none-the-less.

It's funny that you mentioned that about SoCal. They were nice and all of that but the tour seemed forced, like they had to do it versus wanting to show off their shop and cars. Moon was the complete opposite. The young guy who gave us our tour was very cool and really knowledgeable and there was a really cool vibe from all of the employees. I wish I was closer because I would love to go to their shows. I think my cousin-in-law said it best when he said, "There seemed to be a lot more attitude at SoCal." Fun time none-the-less.
Yeah, when I went there to get a quote, maybe I didn't look rich enough (LOL). A paint shop closer to my home recommended Hot Rods and Hobbies. I show up and recognize the guy who detailed my wife's car years earlier. I said, "Hey, you detailed my wife's car". Scott says, "I remember, now I own a shop!". Scott is the nicest guy and builds some of the winningest cars in the country. Matter of fact, he did the final body and paint on Jesse James' '53 Chevy.

Yeah, when I went there to get a quote, maybe I didn't look rich enough (LOL). A paint shop closer to my home recommended Hot Rods and Hobbies. I show up and recognize the guy who detailed my wife's car years earlier. I said, "Hey, you detailed my wife's car". Scott says, "I remember, now I own a shop!". Scott is the nicest guy and builds some of the winningest cars in the country. Matter of fact, he did the final body and paint on Jesse James' '53 Chevy.

Man, now I really wish I would have taken your advice and stopped by their shop. I am so envious of you guys in the LA area. So close to all of the shops, the shows and the history. Way bitchin!

The Mooneyes dragster has always been my fav! Last time I saw it was in the Garlits Museum! [ddd

BoB

Well then this picture might p*ss you off!:D Yours truly wedged into the Moon dragster. Here's how that went down: As I drooled over the dragster, our tour guide (I really wish I could remember his name!) said, "You wanna sit in the dragster?" Me: "I can't fit in that thing!" Tour guide: "Sure you can. All I ask is that you don't step on the bottom pan. Just step in, stand on the rear end housing, then slide on in." Me, thinking to myself as I followed his directions, "Suck in as much fat as possible...this is either gonna be really cool or really embarrassing!" Tour guide as I slid in: "See you got it!" Me: "All of you guys are gonna have to pull me out!" But, proudly, I was able to wiggle out under my own power. Anyone who pilots one of those is both crazy and my hero! Now I want one!

Attachments

• moon12.jpg
    moon12.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back