more high tech stuff

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had seen the saw stop before tested w/ hotdog.......
icouldn't watch the guy put his own finger in there though.....:eek:

that is a great invention & should keep alot of fingers from being lost....[cl

Yeah, I'd bet it just gets more people hurt. I can just see the thing malfunction during a "hold my beere and watch this" session.

Using a table saw while drinking IS absolutely moronic in the first place.

The top saw companies didn't want the inventors product claiming that very same reason - it would make users less vigilant. The guy went and started his own company - and it's even rated as a top quality saw.

The brake also cost around 100$ to replace if it engages - not to mention it ruins the blade (a good one cost 50-100$). When I do eventually invest in a quality saw, it will definitely be one with this feature! It only takes one moment of distraction.

While it is an amazing device, I just see too much going bad. A table saw that gives a sense of security when there should not be. It's like all the safety equipment on cars just makes more lazy incompitent drivers, on some level.
I am more in favour of teaching people to use things correctly to avoid personal injury than in helping them survive improper use.

while i agree with the thought of being "vigilant" around tools, there is the possibility of careful people still being involved in an accident....
the replacement of the device and blade after it functions is a cost to consider, but i look at that argument this way--what's a finger worth?
not trying to be argumentative, just a few thoughts of mine i wanted to share--
IMO put the "saw-stop" on the saws.....and use the saw like it doesn't have it

when dad handed me a chainsaw for the first time he said treat it like a rattlesnake - (with fear and respect) --it will be less likely to "bite you" should be the same with all tools.....

WB3 - you are correct. It is proven that the more safety nets you place, the more lax people get. The net gain in safety is less or nil. You will never make stupid people smart, you can only protect yourself from their stupidity.

I heard the same kind of argument for round-about intersections: They are more confusing so the driver has a heightened sense of awareness, therefore they are safer - WHAT? Confusing the driver makes him safer?

I try to be very aware when I use a saw - keep to the side, one finger on the table, etc. One day I turned off my saw and bent down to pick up a pen I dropped. Suddenly realized my head was about 1" from the still spinning blade. I froze til it stopped. It would have stopped no more than 1/8" into my skull, but it still woulda sucked. One moment of distraction....

Latest posts

Back