More on the 40 panel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
A rambleing. I started pulling fenders today and was going to pull the running boards too. Well, the body has to come off, or at least up 4 inches to get the running boards off. I really didn't want to pull the body. Also in measuring, if I do the Scout front stub, I will be way aft of the front body mounts where the frames transition. So with doing new wood in the floor I will only then be two body bolts away from having the whole thing loose. This job is spiraling past my pay grade pretty fast. Each single thing is very do-able but there are just getting to be too many of them for the 3-4 hours a day of physical endurance I have.
For now, I think I'll finish pulling the fenders, can bang on those and doors for half the winter anyway. Then get the 62 Ranchero pulled in, get it running and make some floor pans so i can sell it for more addiction $$$.

Ah yes. The "Mushroom" factor. Once you start to take things apart the amount of work involved starts to "Mushroom".
Why are you stubbing the front of the frame as there are lots of options with the stock 40 frame.
Torchie

Ah yes. The "Mushroom" factor. Once you start to take things apart the amount of work involved starts to "Mushroom".
Why are you stubbing the front of the frame as there are lots of options with the stock 40 frame.
Torchie

That's my question, too. I know you want rid of the oddball ton front axle, but why not just go with a 40-48 car or pickup axle? Looks like it would be a lot less work to install and should bolt right in. Or were you going the 4X4 route?

I was planning to go the 4x4 route and the Scout uses a step down frame so it would still sit fairly stock instead of being jacked up. It looks like it would be a lot easier to do the front stub with the body off because to get to where the Scout frame levels out would put me at least a foot back under the cab. The axle that's under the truck now is not the original and is just chained under the truck. The original springs are gone and the hangers are completely shot.
I am pondering just keeping all the stock frame and using axles from something like a 57-60 F100 or F250.

I looked at the 60 F250 in this ad about a year ago. I messaged to see what he wants for it. If I can get any parts off it that will sell to recoup the investment, I might go with those axles. It would solve wheel issues because I have 16 inch wheels to fit 3/4 ton and I want to run 235x85x16 to keep close to the original profile and I would have to buy new wheels to get them to fit the scout.

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/5340353085.html

I think that might work out better for you WB. The sheet metal will fit the original frame much better, and it should be easy to weld on some spring perches for parallel leaves from the F250 front end. I've seen a lots of front frames clipped, there is usually something about them that doesn't look right or fit right.

You could always bolt a 4WD axle to the parallel leaves up front in place of the I beam axle.

The front axle sits so far forward on these trucks that putting parallel leaf springs up front is going to be challenging to say the least. It can be done, but the the frame is going to have to be out past the grille to hang the front spring hangers. You could do something interesting with that, though. Maybe stretch the hood and move the grille out a bit. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

WB3, I have a buddy that uses expedition or explorer complete
chassis and drivetrain on these trucks. I thought it was two wheel
drive but he said it's all wheel drive???? not a ford guy so I'm not for sure
he says they pretty much just fall in place like they were made for
each other[S could try and find out more if you're interested....

The front axle sits so far forward on these trucks that putting parallel leaf springs up front is going to be challenging to say the least. It can be done, but the the frame is going to have to be out past the grille to hang the front spring hangers. You could do something interesting with that, though. Maybe stretch the hood and move the grille out a bit. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

This is the tonner panel. It came with parallel leaves up front like a big truck. Completely different than the 1/2 ton panel, even different front sheet metal.

For those of you who might not read the builds, I got over my sniveling and got back after it today, got some stuff done. Did some measuring and pretty much decided to leave the front frame alone and stick the scout axle under it anyway.

'40 gmc

Attachments

• Alexs' tater chip truck with hardware from 89 Speed Shop.jpg
    Alexs' tater chip truck with hardware from 89 Speed Shop.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 34
For those of you who might not read the builds, I got over my sniveling and got back after it today, got some stuff done. Did some measuring and pretty much decided to leave the front frame alone and stick the scout axle under it anyway.
[cl
It can always be changed it out if you don't like it or come up with something better :)

Latest posts

Back