Motor mounts 302/350

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

41 Rat

I just bought the frame for my 41 ford, the motor mounts in this frame were made to fit a 350. Now I am a bit of a brand guy so to speak. (Ford-Ford, dodge-dodge, chev-chev, etc) So I bought a 302 out of a 84 grand marquis. (rebuilt, full roller). When I bought this engine the guy mentioned to me that he thought the motor mounts on a 302 would fit the 350 mounts. If what he's saying is correct then the 302 should fit over the mounts where the 350 slides in. Does anybody know if theres any truth to this? (I haven't had time to check yet)

Thanks
-Bob

The "84 Merc mount must be different. The '68 (+-a few years) Mustang look very similar to the same vintage Chevy mount - 7/16 bolt with the tube about 3" long. I can't imagine they would be in the same location. If they are let us know.

The mounts for the Chevy will be in the wrong location. The motor will set to far forward. Chassis Engineering makes a nice bolt in motor mount for that frame and motor.

The guys are right, totally different animals. Like comparing apples and oranges, or Ford and Chevy.:) I'm like you and like Fords in Fords, etc, but you may want to rethink this one. The Ford is much longer than the Chevy and you will have problems with radiator clearance and firewall clearance unless you cut into the firewall and set the engine back a few inches.

I also have a 46 Ford that is very similar to yours, and I also have a Ford Crown Vic that I could use for a donor some day. But I just looked at a 46 Ford at Garlits show that had a Chevy in it and even that was tight in the length department. So mine will probably get a Chevy.

Don

I put a 351w with a C4 in a 41 ford with the engineering mounts and it was tight but it fit. I could not use the fan and had to go with an 18 inch pusher fan on the outside of the radiator. The radiator was the org. flathead radiator and mounted in the org spot.

The motor would run at 180-190 all day in traffic. On the open road I did not need the fan.

That was about 15 years ago I sold the car to one of the guys in the wheels of time car club. And the car is still on the road and is doing fine.

Well the frame is custom and pretty well bare, so customizing shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back