Motor Selection Advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Calling all power gods...

Looking for some advice, looking to pick up a engine in the future for the International project. I've listed some requirements and some wants below... Suggestions welcome!

Requirements
- Mechanical (Little to no electronics ie: computers)
- Reliable
- Easy to work on
- Easy to come by
- Affordable
- Easy to come by parts
- Inexpensive to maintain and upgrade
- Must be International/Navistar/Ford

Wants
- Power...power...lots of power.
- MOAR POWAR!
- Free
- Enough power to spin all 4 rear tires...easily.

Last edited:
You will get a ton of engines on this, but I think the Ford 385 series, which the most popular are 429 and 460 cubic inches are good options. Naturally the 460 offers the most grunt. The earlier engines had some decent heads and valve train. Get educated on the pollution era models, probably 73 thru about 76. The engines are plentiful, have any degree of performance parts you want and should come with some equally stout tranmissions. Most unbias gear heads will admit they make good power without a lot of money or work.

You described a Chevy engine!

No way!

You will get a ton of engines on this, but I think the Ford 385 series, which the most popular are 429 and 460 cubic inches are good options. Naturally the 460 offers the most grunt. The earlier engines had some decent heads and valve train. Get educated on the pollution era models, probably 73 thru about 76. The engines are plentiful, have any degree of performance parts you want and should come with some equally stout tranmissions. Most unbias gear heads will admit they make good power without a lot of money or work.

I'm not opposed to diesels either, but the money flows fast on those bad boys. I'd love to soot out the street leavin' the bar one night! [ddd[cl

This might seem like a wacko idea but how about a 392 International V8 ??
- bottom end is very strong
- aluminum hi-rise knocks off 30 lbs.
- lots of cam choices out there and it's a gear drive cam
- Torque Flite trannys bolt up

Do a google search on 'binder racing, some crazy performance can be had from them.

Factoid: Durability testing on these engines by International specified that it had to run for 1000 hrs. at WOT (wide open throttle) before entering production!!

Latest posts

Back