mounting bones what to use tie rod or heims

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokhound

so what do you guys like to use and why does it depend on application?? or just personal choice?? Got my bones the other day and need to order the bungs and stuff so just looking for some input. i no that if i run the tie rod i need the bung that are tapered. So thanks guys just seeing what you guys think.

Either will work fine. I like a tie rod end because it is sealed and greased, but I think a heim looks better.

If you are going to drive it alot, esp in dusty/wet conditions, may want to go with a tie rod end.

I've had both and see very little difference. The heims on my 27 are over 20 years old and I was able to reuse them when I redid the car a year or so ago. If you go with the tie rod ends you will need the $ 80 7 degree tapered reamer like Speedway sells to put the proper hole in the mount.

Don

reamer.jpg

a tip on the taper reamer. i got mine through mac tools, $55 lifetime warrenty on dulling and breakage. best deal i have seen

i always run tie rod ends, like said before they are greasable

Speedway sells a 7 degree taper tie rod end mount that you can bolt or weld to the frame. That's the way to go in my opinion if you are using tie rod ends. Pretty stout piece.

They also sell heim mounts too.

Speedway sells a 7 degree taper tie rod end mount that you can bolt or weld to the frame. That's the way to go in my opinion if you are using tie rod ends. Pretty stout piece.

They also sell heim mounts too.

I did this as well, bought the bolt on mounts and figure if need be I can cut and weld as needed once I get that far. I think the mounts were $25... figured I couldnt make them the same quality for the same $$ if you added in my time to the equation...

do you have a part number i looked on there website and the only thing i came up with is the mounts that hang below the frame.

thanks
rok

Yep, those are what we are talking about.

If you want the 7-10 degrees of caster most use, the mounts will need to hang below the frame, unless your frame is somehow lower than the axle.

do you have a part number i looked on there website and the only thing i came up with is the mounts that hang below the frame.

thanks
rok

That is where they normally mount, below the frame. If your frame is so low that the tie rod end will end up in the middle of the frame you will need to weld some thicker metal to the frame rails then drill that tapered hole through there. If you are using box tubing you will need to drill a corresponding hole on the inside of the frame large enough for a socket to go through so you can put the nut on it.

Don

That is where they normally mount, below the frame. If your frame is so low that the tie rod end will end up in the middle of the frame you will need to weld some thicker metal to the frame rails then drill that tapered hole through there. If you are using box tubing you will need to drill a corresponding hole on the inside of the frame large enough for a socket to go through so you can put the nut on it.

Don

Thanks guys yeah don thats what i am planing is for them to be in the middle of the frame if i can get it there[S i have a picture that i will up load later when i am not on my phone

Thanks again

here is a pic of my ruff mock up just to see what things are going to look like.
photobucket-23772-1330522930105.jpg

photobucket-23771-1330522929614.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys yeah don thats what i am planing is for them to be in the middle of the frame if i can get it there[S i have a picture that i will up load later when i am not on my phone

Thanks again

here is a pic of my ruff mock up just to see what things are going to look like.
photobucket-23772-1330522930105.jpg

photobucket-23771-1330522929614.jpg

THIS is gonna be GOOD!!!!:eek::cool:

Got a build thread started yet?[P

Regards,
Shea:)

If it were me I wouldn't worry about putting any frame mounts on yet for the tie rod ends because you can't be sure where they will want to lay to give you the caster you want. I would put some wheels and tires on it, or at least put jackstands under the axle at what you calculate the correct height would be if tires were on it, then block up the frame at the height you want it to ride at. At that point you can see where the tie rods would hit. They may end up in the middle of the frame or below, depending on frame height.

If you weld bungs in now and mount the bones you may find you have too much or too little caster when the car is finally sitting on the ground. I usually just block up the backside of the bones until I get some weight on the car or at least set the frame at the height it will end up at, then I plan how to mount the tie rod to the frame.

myrpustartfrontendinstall006.jpg

Don

Thanks don i was not going to weld anything together yet. It was just brought up and thought i would ask.

No build thread yet i want to get a couple more projects done first then it balls to the wall or thats the plan any way.

I'm cheap so I try to make as much as I can. Made my mounting tabs outta scrap 3/16" plate, drilled a hole and welded in the Speedway shock mounts. Turns out I ordered the wrong shock mounts! I ordered the round ones that had a 5/8" hole. Had to open them up to 11/16" and had a machine shop taper 'em for $20. I should've ordered these. These are the correct mounts with the proper sized hole and 7* taper..................

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-On-Shock-Eye-For-Tie-Rod-Shocks-Triangular,7782.html

Anyhow, I set my caster first before I tacked on the mounting tabs. And yeah, they're gusseted on the other side. One caveat on the Speedway tie rod ends. As soon as I torqued the nuts they immediately stripped! Cheap chinese crap! The tie rod threads were fine so I went to NAPA and grabbed some real tie rod nuts! Now all is well! Hope this helps.

P9150001.jpg

P8260001.jpg

Latest posts

Back