My 49' Ford Rat Rod build...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good days work today. I shortened the grill about 6 inches so it sits close to the radiator and is now about 5 inches off the ground. Also got the brakes done and thankfully no leaks! Also got the bed sides put on. Progress is being made.

That grill looks great. Is that just some tube with a sheet metal extension? Love your project!

Where did you place your engine and are you using the original driveshaft? I wouldn't be placing any cab on the S-10 mounts. Those get cut off and you can build new mounts wherever you need to put the cab.

All the S-10 swaps we've done involved putting the motor where it needed to be in relation to where the cab needed to sit. None of them sat in the original position, but all used fenders. These aren't the prettiest front end to go fenderless with, which is why most don't do S-10 frames with fenderless vehicles, but that's a personal choice.

I have no idea how much room you will have for the cab once you shorten the frame/box, you'll need to do some measuring and figure that out. You'll definitely need to move the back cab mounts/front box mounts, and I would plan on moving the front cab mounts to get the cab exactly where you want it.

You should have a good look at your frame and see where the factory section is that slides together. It's not cutting the "box", it's cutting the part that slides together to cut off what you need and put the frame back together. It's easy on the S-10's if you do it in the right spot. It's how they so easily had 5 wheelbases. You'll probably need to make custom mounts for the cab wherever you put it.

Do a lot of thinking, measuring, plotting, and figuring before you pick up any tools, so that you're sure what you need to do.

That was my thought when debating on how to mount it where it needs to be...but let me be sure I know what you mean exactly...do I just need to get semi thick steel plate and weld it to the frame and then bolt the new mounts to the plate that I have welded to the frame?

That was my thought when debating on how to mount it where it needs to be...but let me be sure I know what you mean exactly...do I just need to get semi thick steel plate and weld it to the frame and then bolt the new mounts to the plate that I have welded to the frame?

I don't understand what you're asking. Are you referring to mounting the engine?

Here we go everyone! Check out the almost completed rat! All it needs now
is wiring and making sure the brakes completely work and getting it registered.
I've driven it around the yard and it all has seemed to come together finally.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ratrodcomplete1.jpg
    ratrodcomplete1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ratrodcomplete2.jpg
    ratrodcomplete2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 22
I know that radiator grill looks cool , but it wouldnt last very long at my place , I had to shorten mine up about 3 inches and I drug it just pushing it in and out of my shed .. , I know you have to be excited to be able to run it down the road... Id love to be in your shoes . looks great man good job [cl[cl[cl

I know that radiator grill looks cool , but it wouldnt last very long at my place , I had to shorten mine up about 3 inches and I drug it just pushing it in and out of my shed .. , I know you have to be excited to be able to run it down the road... Id love to be in your shoes . looks great man good job [cl[cl[cl

Thanks! So far the grill hasn't given me any trouble with hitting anything since
it's so low, but I may end up having to shorten it from the bottom a little. Right now it's about 2.5 inches from the ground...We will see what happens. I'm very
excited to have made it this far with it. Everyone on the forum here has been
a big help with getting me through the hard times I have had with it and have
answered a ton of questions for me.

Latest posts

Back