my 66 F100 project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawsall

My truck project: 66 F100 body going on a 78 F150 frame... While I got the body off the 78, I plan on doing suspension mods...

Your thoughs on this would be appreciated...

The plan: remove the rear leaf springs move the spring mount forward and use 2-1/4 square tube from the newly mounted mount to the spring perch on the axle for "long arms"... Make a panhard bar and mounts and air bag mounts... I'll have to cut the spring perches off the axle to reclock the axle for the proper pinion angle... "C" nothcing frame will be nessesary...

for the front, I plan on cutting up 2 sets of twin I-beams to make one set od drop beams... where they are welded together it will be substantionally re-enforced... the re-enforcement will incorporate air bag mounts...

I want to end up with about 6" of frame clearance at ride heigth...

The frame is wider on the 78 and the wheelbase is about 2 inches longer so it isn't a bolt up deal. The cab probably will bolt right on but you will have to make mounts for the bed somehow, and deal with the wheelbase issue. I think It's best to move the rear end foreward. I have seen them with the larger gap at the cab/bed and seen them with the wheel not centered in the wheel opening, both look like crap.

Yep, 3 inches difference in the wheelbase... that is what is starting the whole deal in the first place... since I gotta cut the spring mounts and move the axle forward... might as well bring the suspension into this century.

Latest posts

Back