my drivetrain combonation

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uponone

Hey guys....just starting to question my choices again....can anyone tell me how a setup like this would run....I am building a 40 chevy pick up...chopped fenderless, small bed.....my drive train is..

74 nova 350 with a "mild" cam and edlebrock performer intake...what carb should I run? not concerned with efficiency just performance and streetability...what would hp numbers be? rest of motor is stock from what i know

th350....

68 camero rear end 3.55 posi...

29ish total diameter tires....

i want a quick truck maybe even enough to spin the tires yet still drive from toronto to cleveland 5hrs reasonably well(ie without blowing up)...

What do you think.....good choices? will it be a fast fun car? or too much or too little....

A 600 cfm carb will do fine. Your motor with the intake and cam probably makes about 250 hp if you are lucky. With a 29 inch tire you will be able to run any high gears, 3:50,2:68,3:00 something like that. Don't be tempted to try 4:11 they will spin your stock motor a lot faster than it needs.

I agree, a 600 or 650 cfm carb will work great .. any bigger would be to much for your combination.

"Quick" is a relative term - but your setup would cetainly be quicker than the average commuter.

I've been looking into this same hp ?. I found a link to a free desktop dyno...can't find it back now, but here's what I came up with for the same setup you are describing...600cfm, mild cam (420/443 lift), stock heads (1.94,1.5). Don't expect these numberss to be exact, but they give you a reasonable idea of what you'll end up with. The first HP column is with mufflers and the second HP column is if you're running open exhaust headers.

RPM -- HP-- - HP
2000 - 129 - 143
2500 - 164 - 181
3000 - 205 - 217
3500 - 243 - 260
4000 - 265 - 291
4500 - 282 - 317
5000 - 285 - 327
5500 - 278 - 322

With a stripped down, light truck you'll have plenty of power to spin the tires!

I found the desktop dyno free download site. I'll put it in the links section as well.

rapidshare Desktop Dyno

It's a free trial version, so adjustment of the parameters are somewhat limited, but it will still give you an idea of what you're doing. I haven't tried the 1/4 mile drag strip trial run yet, but it looks like it'd be cool too.

well that was what i was hoping to hear.....i am assuming that running on the highway with this setup wont be too bad then.....not that im sure it couldnt be better, but it is what it is...

Latest posts

Back