My first chop top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millaway31

alright guys, i posted a thread in the builds section a few months ago when i bought my first truck. i have purchased a second truck now that is in alot better shape and has a lot more potentional. i got it home and unloaded in the barn and couldn't wait to get my hands on it so i haven't even moved it to the shop just started working in the barn. i got the motor turning over and know i can get it started so we moved on to body work. i cut the top 3 inches, my question is i'm planning on releif cutting the windsheild pillars to make the top fit, when i do my doors do i relief cut them the same way? any help will be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Attachments

• chop top.jpg
    chop top.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 108
  • chop top 2.jpg
    chop top 2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 94
  • chop top 3.jpg
    chop top 3.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 93
I don't have any experience in this type of chop as my chop, i sectioned the roof. I do, however, want to hear what others have to say about it since i might rechop my project using this method.

Are you leaving the truck full fendered as it is now or are you planning other modifications?

And sitting on flat tires and unlevel ground probably has the frame twisted.When you weld it up and every thing goes back to normal you will have trouble.

And sitting on flat tires and unlevel ground probably has the frame twisted.When you weld it up and every thing goes back to normal you will have trouble.

Agreed.

Stop now - Don't cut ANYTHING else. I know it is your first chop and I don't want it to get worse like so many do. Order a copy of Tex Smith's "How To Chop Tops" and read it THOROUGHLY. It will answer your questions better than most yahoos (myself included) online can tell you. Not only that but it is step-by-step and gives detailed pictures and explanations of the process. Required reading for any aspiring customizer. Chopping a top isn't something that the average guy can't do, but if you just jump in with no research it is easy to get in over your head and worse yet ruin a vehicle in the process...

Whew!! You have it braced. [cl

Don't worry much about the doors until you get the roof together. The way you cut the pillars and rear the same amount, and the way you plan to lean the pillars back, you will have a raked roof. Did you realize that?

i realize i'll have a raked roof and the whole seat is not in there, that is the back seat cushion you see in the picture but its just throwed in there, i took it out and it was laying in the floor and i just threw it in the cab to get it up out of the floor. i haven't received the book yet but i have it ordered

Dont think that we are all jumping all over your case. We all just want to make sure you do it the right way the first time so you dont get discouraged and give up. Too many great projects get sent to the crusher from people getting discouraged and not wanting them any more.

Bracing is your friend. The more the better. Level ground helps too but if you dont have that, get yourself some 2x12 material and set some solid jack stands on all four corners of the frame. Then get yourself some shims from the home center and use shims to level the frame from front to back and side to side. This is a tedious task, but the closer to level you get it the better.
P.S. To the rest of the forum members, do you guys think its a good idea to level the frame now that hes already cut the top or do you think that will just throw everything else out of wack?

Once you have this done, it would be time to chop your top. Since you've already done that, now you gotta figure out how you want to get it back together.
I choose to section my top and add filler material in a cross pattern, ultimatum widening the roof both front to back and side to side.
I decided to do this as i am unexperianced in leaning the pillars. Ive seen pillars leaned back and it looks great if its not overdone.

Once you start welding everything back together, just tack everything together to make sure your doors will work and line up well. Take a break for a few days and really look over the whole truck before you go to town welding the whole thing back together. This is your chance to change something if you want, no matter how big or little the change is. Once its all welded back together, you stuck. I learned this from my chop. Now that i have mine all done, i REALLY wish i would have taken another inch out of the front to get rid of the rake look. It bothers me so much that i might be re chopping the entire truck again one day.

Its great that you got the book! Read through it and take a look at each step and make sure its something your comfortable with.
Most of all, through the whole process, TAKE YOUR TIME! Rushing this step will make or break the entire build.

thanks for the help jmlcolorado, i appreciate all ya'lls help. i guess i should have ask more questions before i started cutting, i knew to brace it but didn't think about level. i haven't got to work on the truck lately cause work has been so busy but i'll keep everybody posted as it goes along

...do you guys think its a good idea to level the frame now that hes already cut the top or do you think that will just throw everything else out of wack?

It might be square even if it's not level. If it is braced well enough, the diagonals are equal, and the doors fit, is there really a problem? That's a lot of IF's....

It might be better to unbolt the cab from the frame and just level the cab since there is a good chance the cab mounts aren't equal anymore if they are still there. You wouldn't even have to remove it from the frame, just raised enough to get it leveled and squared.

It might be square even if it's not level. If it is braced well enough, the diagonals are equal, and the doors fit, is there really a problem? That's a lot of IF's....

It might be better to unbolt the cab from the frame and just level the cab since there is a good chance the cab mounts aren't equal anymore if they are still there. You wouldn't even have to remove it from the frame, just raised enough to get it leveled and squared.

Thats a good call. I had my cab off the frame for the chop work mainly so it was easy to get around. I leveled it front to back using the door jamb at the floor, then left to right using the back wall belt line.

I had it so level, i was able to use a laser to set my lines.

I didnt think about the body mounts being squashed, dry and out of whack.

Can I get in on this?

I'm thinkin about droppin the top on my 51 Ford More Door.. I wanna go a little farther on and talk about Glass.. Cutting?.. what do I do about the 4 vent windows? etc.. Thanks...

Yep, you can't have enough bracing in place before making the first cut. This is a 49 Fordor Ford we chopped a while back. It wasn't going to move. :D

dans49chopstarted029-1.jpg

dans49chopstarted013.jpg

dans49chopstarted033.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back