My instant classic!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking on how to deal with the tailgate, the farmer that owned it originally decided to cut a grain chute in it and the cracks/breaks in it from too much pressure tell me I need a new one Also if you look at the engine pan it gives a more interesting perspective of the rest of the undercarriage. Yes that is paint under there!

Attachments

• IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4479.JPG
    IMG_4479.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 24
I don't think that's paint my friend, if its rough then it was I believe a factory spray cause I go that stuff all over my engine bay/truck.

Today I tore the head off the engine to see if the trouble is in the cylinders (it's still seized) however there is no indication of problems here... I'm thinking timing gear set or crank issues now.

Not much happening today on the truck:( was called out to help a friend with his Ford rat rod ;) All I was able to accomplish was to drain the rest of the fluids. Man did the gas tank stink :eek::eek::eek:

It's been a bit of a slow period on this truck as I had to go work on the 1710A to see if I could get it fired up before it gets sent to the crusher. After a couple of rough days I did finally get it to start but that is all. I think the fuel pump has passed it's last gas.:( Hopefully I will get back on track with the '53 soon. BTW I took the head in to be checked out and it looks fine [cl

I've been slackin' as well - got the new carb in the mail but I have been lazy and not working on the truck. Money has been a big issue, I need to pay for someone to weld and fab up my keg tank and run lines and stuff.

The engine and tranny are both sitting on the floor of my garage. Now to get the beast over to the machine shop to see what is what with it.[dr I will be spending a good amount of time cleaning and prepping for paint in the engine bay for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4506.JPG
    IMG_4506.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4507.JPG
    IMG_4507.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Tonight I started tearing the engine down and #s 3 & 4 pistons are seized big time. I haven't been able to pull the crank either as the rear main is jammed (the crank spins freely until it hits the connecting rods for the 2 seized pistons. I'm hoping to get a fresh start at it tomorrow evening after work.

I got the crank out and 5 out of the 6 pistons removed #4 is being a bit of a pain broke my hammer handle (the one I was using as a punch) and damaged the piston to boot :( It might come out when I hot tank it though. So all together this is where I stand; 1 disassembled engine, 1 gaping hole where said engine used to reside, 1 transmission still under the truck, and 1 HELL of a mess in my nice garage !!! :( But it will be worth it in the end [dr

Thank you [;) I am intending on building the old girl as close to the way it left the factory as I can :) Although I might be willing to make the rear differential an exception as it has a 7.39 :1 gear ratio :eek: It'll climb walls but won't go faster than 35 MPH or pass any gas stations ;)

Here are the pics of my engine torn down ready to go to the machine shop. Along with the transmission and master cylinder

Attachments

• IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4517.JPG
    IMG_4517.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4518.JPG
    IMG_4518.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4519.JPG
    IMG_4519.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4522.JPG
    IMG_4522.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7
The engine is sitting in an acid bath to clean out the mouse nests inside of the water jacket. I picked up a free front bumper and have to start cleaning the garage before I can do much else with it. I have also made headway into getting a bit better gear set in the rear diff. I am waiting on an R 160 about 5 hours drive from here that has a sweet 2 speed rear end and a 5 speed trans that I intend on putting in my beast. I think it will be a very interesting build once all the parts come together.[;)[dr[cl

Thanks Crank the link may help someone however I googled them and now they're added to my favourites bar just like this forum and Old IHC ... My 2 favourite forums for vehicles [cl( computers is Linux and Hackintosh forums):D

Latest posts

Back