My plans on a new ride for a d driver.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLO_ROLL

Early 60's cab and front clip on a 73-8? 1 ton 2 wheel drive cab and chassis dually frame. Thinking about air ride but thats the part I dont know about. This will be my daily driver so its needs to be very functional, but I also want it very low at times. I will be pulling a trailor at times to haul my S-10 to the track.

Sounds pretty cool to me,maybe you could use a Chevy or GMC coe cab on a 1ton forward-control motorhome frame.Old motorhomes go for pretty cheap and you can shorten the frame to your needs.Just my 2cents.

Thanks OVRED. Sounds like Im on my own. Nothing like your pals to leave you hanging in the breeze. lol Wrong thread maybe?

not on your own, answer will come and go, but us thread watchers LOVE pics. whether it be examples of ideas or such. just a heads up, but there are some pretty good build threads around, even for just suspension ideas, body ideas, so forth. CORPO(believe is his name) building a killer dually truck that you can scope out and put to thought. guy is a madman with his thoughts and frame building! im playing around with air bags and posted pics as there available on my build as well. could also make yourself a double dually axle set up. kind of like a miniature diesel, if your going to tow, just for thought.

not to sound all over with thoughts, but airbags are easy to play around with and they have very user friendly parts. as well with link suspension. im by no means an expert, and many will soon chime in with advise or links possibly, but def a cool idea you have pointed out. the motorhome frame and additional axle like i said would be slick.

"the motorhome frame and additional axle like i said would be slick." Thats alittle over my head. I have found a truck 63 1 ton dually, no cancer so he said. Asking $500 might give 300 if its what im looking for. Hopeing it will be a solid cab and f clip. I have the West Coast Mirrors
and cab lights, but with this truck being a 1 ton it should have them? This will be my daily driver so..... The best heavy duty 5 speed chevy for this build???

should being the key word and drivetrain fully depends on what your going to do day in and day out. look for fully swaps unless that 1ton comes with drivetrain then look at rebuilding and slightly bumping performance, though reliability is what your after not just pure performance for my sake persay.

whats the drivetrain you have in mind or is with that truck?

Most 73-8? 1 ton duallys came with a 3 speed and a "lot" or "granny" gear to make them a 4 speed. I have drove many of them and they dont like to go into gear at hight RPM, gear spacing maybe?????? As for drive train heres what im kicking around. Stock 454 or 383 sbc depends on what I find. I have most the parts laying around to build a nice 383. I do want a five speed for sure. Most those trucks have a Dana 60 so a gear change will not be a prob. I drive to school 35 miles 2 days a week. I could be pulling anything from my S-10 to the track to a goose neck trailer, but can I do that with a bagged truck ????? I guess I want my cake and eat it too. Truck will be a flat bed and no I'm not going to paint it. I just want it tough and LOW.

find some semi bags or just get a pair of heavy load bags with some helper leafs. i have 2600lbs bags in my rear, but you can def get heavier if needed. just talk to a company online that offers kits and see what they reccommend for your app and they will put you in the right direction.

as for drivetrain, hard to say, shop around some. id say find a big block or maybe even an old school diesel or something like that. id say find a diesel swap

There was a guy on the, ahem, HAMB that did this. It was completely RAD! It had the slammed look without any tricks I believe. If I find a pic I'll link it.

I think this is the $h!t. COOL!

attachment.php

Personally, I would raise the running board/step about 6 inches.

Now we are talking. Never thought about saddle tanks, good idea. Thanks for the pics and info.

Latest posts

Back