My Shorty VW Bus

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgoo426193

Banned
I made mention of this earlier in another thread, however I thought I might start a thread dedicated to it

Below is a photo from the start of the project and the other 3 are a current update

(Update August 8th 2012)​

I did some detail work and under chassis wiring along with mounting and installing the wheels & tires. I had to test fit a couple of size tires on the rear to find one as fat as possible that would still clear the inner body

Earlier in the build I did use a porta power and jack the wheel well opening outward as far as I could without kinking the panel. I ended up with a tire size of 205/60/15, which I used all around as the rear fit was close but clear and front fit was no problem

Here is a link to see the whole build from the getgo
http://www.tlgenterprises.com/vw_stuff.htm

B-1.jpg

B-2.jpg

B-3.jpg

B-4.jpg

Ever since I saw your first post about the shorty bus on your other thread I have been stuck on them!!! Even half looking for a bus to play with!!! These little dudes look AWESOME!! Doing a heck of a nice job by the way!!!!

How do these drive when done?
Looks great.

Never drove one, however I know they do easy wheelies, and nose down hard in a panic stop from what I've seen in videos and other forum threads. No one has said though that they are undriveable as such.

Guess I'll find out???

Ever since I saw your first post about the shorty bus on your other thread I have been stuck on them!!! Even half looking for a bus to play with!!! These little dudes look AWESOME!! Doing a heck of a nice job by the way!!!!

I'm assuming you went to my VW page and read the intro at the top of the page? When I saw that little red one in person that day, I was hooked for sure. That one was an earlier split window bus, however those just a few years newer (like mine) became much more moderized, but still looked like a hippy bus and have much nicer suspension, factory power disc brakes, windup door windows and a few more amentities.

One thing I miss though is the flip open safari front split windshield. You can't fake that. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't want to spend the time and money on an early bus and cut it up as a good resto is worth big bucks in original condition.

The baywindow bus, as mine is called, is coming into it's Hay day, but has a long time to go just yet, so I'll chop them up every day and not think a thing of it.

Latest posts

Back