natural vs flat/satin/primer look

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

I was wondering what everyone preferred as a look for rat rods. I myself can't decide but the natural look really says something about the art of the car and the personality but the primer and flat looks plain badass.
I hope you guys actually know what I'm talking about and don't think I'm nuts lol.

I know what you mean.I have been going back and forth trying to decide that too. The natural patina on my 29 Tudor was not good since someone put grey primer all over it , so I stripped it down to bare metal/rust. Kinda like it,and some areas are probably too rough to paint anyways.

Yeah I agree with the fake thing being gay lol. And I've never heard of that paint being used I was just going to use rustoleom satin black, this is kinda something I like but not the chrome mirrors.
7d9966ff.jpg

And another thing about de chroming....what do I do about the front bumper? I don't really see anything looking good painted over the bumper, I do think a custom bumper would look pretty sick though. And I'm so wanting to chop the top now I seen a 72 with it done but it looks very scary for a newb like me.
If there is any one else around here looking for rat projects there is a 41 desoto 4dr for cheap. I almost though about getting it but I figured this truck would be simpler for a first project. What do you all think?

I'm pretty sure I am going to paint my 27 satin black because I too like the look. Instead of primer though I think I will go with flattened gloss just for the easier to keep clean aspect.

On some cars I like when they sand through to a different color below. When done right it looks aged IMO.

Don

I'm pretty sure I am going to paint my 27 satin black because I too like the look. Instead of primer though I think I will go with flattened gloss just for the easier to keep clean aspect.

On some cars I like when they sand through to a different color below. When done right it looks aged IMO.

Don

Check out the Benjamin Moore 163-80, I've used just about everything and this is by far the best I've seen for a durable satin finish.

I'm good with the satin or low gloss for sure , I also really like a good well aged patina. I can't bring myself to paint mine but I do like it just fine .

I used an industrial flat black from Sherwin Williams. Primer is a no-go - unless it's a epoxy, it probably doesn't seal.

The hardest thing about a chop will be the curved windshield.

How much is the Desoto?

I did start another thread for the subject sorry, but the desoto is 600 obo but is more complete then the truck. The guy says its solid except the floor but he has all parts but the trans had parts pulled off it to fix his 48.

I like both ways & some cars just lend themselves to one way or the other. I try to let the car/truck decide. Sometimes I spray primer... don't like it & sand it back down to rust. Some cars just look good rusty... depends on the car & how I'm feeling! [ddd

BoB

Its one of those"You know it when you see it" things.LOL I like most finishes but not every one looks good on every car. I like rusty and I like flat black and I like $10,000.00 paint jobs but Iv seen all three at times and go"what were they thinking"?

I agree with sneaky snake I like all kinds of finishes and it needs to be tastfuly done. a car that is a rust bucket with raw bondo unsanded and painted black looks like crap, and a car with a nice body but painted with a rattle can won't look so hot after the sun starts to fade the primer.O and peach with green scalops should never ever be painted on any car. so fellas just think before you paint or not paint.

2 cents worth

Personally, I like satin in a color. When I got my 56, it had been partially buffed. I went over it with a scotchbrite pad and Ajax. Everybody seems to like it and it is easy to keep clean.....I'm lazy.

Shakey

Latest posts

Back