need a front spring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokhound

working on the front end of the 47 willys i am using a 47 ford front axle i would like the spring to be on top of the axle and if you do the speed way math i need a leaf spring some where around a 36 long spring any one have some input where i can get one with out having one specially made[S

or any other options i have thought about running the spring like dons rods does his but i was just thinking it would be easier just have it hung on top less fab work

any help would be great thanks

That is the downside of using something like a 47 axle. They were designed to have the spring in front originally and when you try to run one on top of the axle it is tough to find a spring the right width.

Someone on here posted that they are now making a spring (possibly Posies) that addresses this width issue, but I tried to find it on their website a while back and couldn't. You might call Posies and ask, maybe it is something new and just not listed yet. The perch holes are 40 5/8 apart, and when you put early perches in those holes it moves the shackle hole inboard about an inch, I think, so you would need a spring that is about 34, if my recollection is correct.

Don

i called them and they have a 35.5 and thats all good but they want 240 bucks for the darn thing yeah well i think i am going to try to figure out some thing else??

can i take my spindles and brake set up off this axle (speedway disc brake kit) and put it on a different one??[S

and if so what year of axle should i look for??

I have a disk brake kit on a 32 heavy axle. i think it's the same kit. look it up in speedway catalog and see if it interchanges. The thing is speedway doesn't sell a spring for a stock axle. I got mine from Posies.

The axle that is easiest to find a cheaper spring for is a 28-36 axle. They usually go for about $100 at swap meets and on Ebay. I bought a brand new, unused 34 axle for my rpu project for $100 off of Ebay.

Then you go to someone like Speedway, buy the proper perches to mount the spring and wishbone to that axle, and a 31 inch spring, and you are home free.

Yes, Speedway does sell a lot of springs for the spring over setup. Look at the ones listed under "Superglide leaf springs" in their catalog or on line. They start at about $65.00.

Don

Thanks for the feed back guys so don do you think my spindles and stuff will work on the 28 to 32 axle then???

bobwilcox

In the past I've gone to a trailer supply store near my place[20 miles]. They have about every spring you could want. quit a stock of shackles and bushings too. Just a thought on an inexpesive source.​

the trailer springs that i have seen are way short and stiff. I am thinking about cutting a spring in half kinda like a quarter ecliptic but instead of running forward it would run out to the side??

what do you guys think??

Is the '47 axle you already have nice? Is it the correct width for your project? I know $240 seems like a lot for a spring especially when "standard" springs go for so much less, but by the time you switch to a different axle you may end up close to that amount. You should give Detroit Eaton Springs a call, as already suggested. I've used them twice and they will build a spring for you for a very reasonable price...and they are fast.

Kool I will look into them there is a place close in Des Moines called Huskey springs they build leafs also

hey guys going to take this back to the top i have a question about shackle lengths:
-is there a certain length the should be

- what would you consider to long I am not taking 12" long but looking toward 6 to 7 inches long

the reason for these question is awhile back i bought a front leaf spring awhile back when i was going to try to use the front 4x4 axle anyway the leaf spring is 30" long so i was just going to make the shackles longer and use it.

what do guys think??

front spring 47 ford axel

I know this is an old tread but here is my two cents .I use a 48 F1 front spring, take speedway shackles and make them 2 inches cent to center used the speedway bushings that come with the shackles and ream the spring bushing to fit.

Attachments

• Photo854.jpg
    Photo854.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo853.jpg
    Photo853.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo855.jpg
    Photo855.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
thanks man thats what i needed right there i am going to try and use my 47 cj spring just like you mentioned

thanks man [cl

Latest posts

Back