Need advice: Should I buy this truck?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenzie

I was headed back from my grandparents today and came across a few Chevy trucks on the side of the road for sale. I had some time to kill so I stopped in and got some info from the owner.
He's about got me sold on this truck:
55firstseriesChevy001.jpg

The passenger corner is solid, but the drivers corner is rusted through...
55firstseriesChevy003.jpg

I'm told it's a '55 Chevy first series and he said they're pretty rare (but I don't know enough about them to know if that's the case) He's asking $500 for the frame, cab, a box and doors. He also told me where I might be able to pick up a Model A box for a good price if I wanted to go that route.

My other option is a 48-52 Ford truck that's complete minus the engine and seat for $300, if the guy still has it, but I think I would rather have the Chevy (and I might be able to get a better price outta him if I try)

Any opinions, info, or suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Kenzie

I hate that word "rare" every old guy trying to sell anything will tell you it's rare. I don't know much about those AD Chevy's but I know they are a dime dozen around here. $500 is way too much. $300 for the F1 is abetter buy.

Agree. Make sure you get doors either way. They are as expensive as a cab sometimes.

I think it is as important to find the truck you want to build. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge etc.
Also what era of vehicle you really want. Square cabbed 30's trucks, or round topped 50's trucks.

Couldn't be too rare there's another one sitting next to it. I agree with DMW the other seems to be a better buy from what you've told us. Myself I like the looks of them a lot better anyway.

First off, I don't think that's a '55 Chevy, looks like the previous model. If I remember correctly '55 windshield posts slant forward. Does the Ford have fenders and a hood? Even if you don't use them, you can sell them & get some of your money back. Did you get any pictures of it?

Beercan

Last edited:
Seems like there are more Fords around here in good condition and that's what you see at a lot of the shows, so that's why I'm considering a Chevy...and I'm more of a Chevy girl ;) But the Ford, unless I can talk the Chevy guy way down, is the better deal.
I think I'll go check out the Ford one more time and get some pics then decide. (Typical women, can't make up my mind!)

The guy doesn't have the original doors to the Chevy, but he said he has a set that will fit and a box (included in the price) That also makes me lean toward the Ford...it's all original and intact so I know everything will line up.
I'm obviously not sure what make I want, but I am sure I want a 50's model.

It's not the same truck sitting next to it. The most obvious difference, although you can't see it in the pics, is that the one next to it has the split windshield and I'd rather have a one-piece. However, he did mention that he had at least 4 or 5 other 55 first series cabs so he's either incredibly good at finding them or they're not as rare as he led me to believe.

Thanks for the opinions guys...I'm just being my typical, indecisive self :rolleyes:

First off, I don't think that's a '55 Chevy, looks like the previous model. If I remember correctly '55 windshield posts slant forward. Does the Ford have fenders and a hood? Even if you don't use them, you can sell them & get some of your money back. Did you get any pictures of it?

Beercan

It very well could be a previous model...I have no clue so I'm just going off what the owner said it was. :confused:

Yes, the Ford is pretty much complete from what I can remember and I don't plan on running any fenders or hood...so, that is another plus for the Ford.
It's a few hours away sitting in the back of a field grown up in weeds and thorns. We looked at it back in May while it was dark and rainy so I didn't get to look it over as well as I would've liked. And, unfortunately, I didn't get any pics at the time.
I'm going to call the Ford guy this weekend and see if he still has it...if so, I'll see if he can send me some pics.

51 GMC

I have a complete 51 GMC here in Morrilton,AR for $500
doors are there and shut good
floorboards are rusty
no motor or trans
I have a donor car that I'll sell for $200 small block chevy and auto i think its an 80s Impala
Also have a 57 chevy truck for $300

Beercan

Chevy had mid year changes on these trucks....they actually sold both body styles in 47 and again in 55.
1947 second series through 1955 first series Chevy trucks were all basically the same....47 through 53 had a split windshield and 54 / 55 1st series had a one piece windshield. 47 through 53 had this type of front end (this was my 48)

48frt.jpg

54 /55 had this type of front end

hamb004.jpg

Doors.....beds and most everything else is interchangeable.

I tend to agree with the others that 500 for a cab, frame and bed is a bit much depending on where you live in the country, but around these parts they aren't that plentyful...I (personally) would try to talk the guy down a little and would take the Chevy...but then again thats me, and I have an extra S-10 frame thats waiting for me to find another one of these bodies to mount on it

I understand that these old trucks (and other such vehicles) are still fairly plentiful down in your area so that would reflect on the price. However, up here in Ontario Canada, the rust belt of the world, that would be and extrordinary find. $500 would be a good deal for that here. First I would make sure all the parts he claims to have are at least as good as the cab, and perhaps try to talk him down. But most of all make sure it's the type of truck you can be happy with. If it's something you feel you have to grow into then I suggest you keep looking for that "ONE" you really want. :D

55 first series are not rare, a bit more scarce than other years maybe. I wouldn't haul that truck home if it was free, because I can get a dozen better ones for free in these parts. Not be a jerk or anything because I know we have lots of old trucks in these parts and other people might not, I just think it takes some nerve to ask 5 bills for something like that anywhere.

I have a complete 51 GMC here in Morrilton,AR for $500
doors are there and shut good
floorboards are rusty
no motor or trans
I have a donor car that I'll sell for $200 small block chevy and auto i think its an 80s Impala
Also have a 57 chevy truck for $300

PM sent!

Chevy had mid year changes on these trucks....they actually sold both body styles in 47 and again in 55.
1947 second series through 1955 first series Chevy trucks were all basically the same....47 through 53 had a split windshield and 54 / 55 1st series had a one piece windshield. 47 through 53 had this type of front end (this was my 48)

54 /55 had this type of front end

Doors.....beds and most everything else is interchangeable.

I tend to agree with the others that 500 for a cab, frame and bed is a bit much depending on where you live in the country, but around these parts they aren't that plentyful...I (personally) would try to talk the guy down a little and would take the Chevy...but then again thats me, and I have an extra S-10 frame thats waiting for me to find another one of these bodies to mount on it

Great info, Thanks!
If I decide it's the one I want, I'm going to offer him $200-250 for the truck with doors and a box and we'll go from there. I might even pass on the box (depending on what he has) if he'll do the lower price. I can always find one later...I just want a running truck by spring.

I understand that these old trucks (and other such vehicles) are still fairly plentiful down in your area so that would reflect on the price. However, up here in Ontario Canada, the rust belt of the world, that would be and extrordinary find. $500 would be a good deal for that here. First I would make sure all the parts he claims to have are at least as good as the cab, and perhaps try to talk him down. But most of all make sure it's the type of truck you can be happy with. If it's something you feel you have to grow into then I suggest you keep looking for that "ONE" you really want. :D

Very plentiful...just have to know where to look and be brave enough to knock on a few doors (around here you might get shot...LOL)

I'm sure he has all the parts...most are sitting around his lot, you just can't see them in the pic. He has other 55fs cabs and lots of doors out there so I, of course, would want to take my pick (especially if he isn't willing to go down too much on the price)

I think a Ford might be something I would have to learn to love...but a Chevy just seams more "me." After all, I have a Chevy piston tattooed on my stomach :D

55 first series are not rare, a bit more scarce than other years maybe. I wouldn't haul that truck home if it was free, because I can get a dozen better ones for free in these parts. Not be a jerk or anything because I know we have lots of old trucks in these parts and other people might not, I just think it takes some nerve to ask 5 bills for something like that anywhere.

I don't think you're being a jerk, that's just how it is in your area. I'm sure there are a lot of trucks sitting in fields around here that could be picked up for free. I just haven't been lucky enough to find one and don't really want to spend another year or more looking.
The trucks aren't marked with prices which tells me they're priced based on the customer. Me being a 25 yr old woman, dressed fairly nice, with a large rock on my finger probably had quite a bit to do with the price he gave me ;)

Thanks guys!

If these trucks are hard to find maybe I can start hauling loads of them up. In my last 4 outings I have found 42-46 GM trucks and so many 49-53 I don't even pay attention. I have access to a real straight 49 GMC shortbed that was running when it got parked 20 years ago. Here's just a few that I have ran across last week. There were several more I didn't get pictures of.

Devilstowerjunk054.jpg

Devilstowerjunk016.jpg

Devilstowerjunk004.jpg

"Extraordinary" is right. I've sen worse stuff go for $2000 - $2500 around here. So, getting back to Kenzie's original question, if you feel you like that model and are comfortable with the price then by all means go for it. If you're not "feeling it" then keep looking and as Roddguy said old stuff seems to be still plentiful in your area. You're in a better position to pick and choose than we are. Let us know what happens either way.

I got mine for free... these trucks are a dime a dozen here in new mexico and everyone that owns one says its the rarest truck ever... I like the cab style its super chicano and very very new mexican. i am going super radical with mine cause as it is its just not nearly redicoulas for me. alot of people think the ADs are too wide (including myself) been talking to tiny1 and he loves his as is... its just up to you really...

Latest posts

Back