Need Advise...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Princerat9

Can anyone give me some advise as to where I can look for a project truck to build my rat rod. Really want a 40s-50s chevy pickup. In south florida so it's a little hard to find any antiques down here. I don't have a lot of money so I Was thinking about buying a cab and just starting from there. If you guys have any advise for me to look I would really appricate it!
Thanks!

your next deal if you found one would be the trip to go get it .. if your down toward the bottom of Florida ..maybe get lucky and find something in Alabama some where .. Good luck

My 2 cents

Yankee, Mike c has just what you need. I think you could get it trucked down. Cal a freight forwarding co. Anyone dead heading would do it, probably for the fuel.

I took a trip for a free John Deere tractor, right at 1,000 one way... :( I dead headed up to Lisbon, Ohio ( my old home town) with a heavy trailer .. boy that was a long trip .. But I did get to see some relatives , so it was ok . going up North is going up hill most of the way (It sure seemed like it anyhoo ):D wish I would have gotten a freight company to haul it closer to me ..Drove strait threw , that was tuff .

Every year at Turkey Run in Daytona at Thanksgiving there are guys selling just cabs and bodies. I know that is a ways off, but if you go with cash you will find a decent one that will save you a lot of work. Best if you can get one with a title too, makes it so much easier these days, even in normally liberal Florida.

I bought this one there a few years ago and I think I paid $1500 for it and the guy delivered it to my shop at no charge.

Don

Shop Craigslist, extending out as far as you want to travel. There are always somebody's stalled project on there, and most of the time can be had for a deal.

Shop Craigslist, extending out as far as you want to travel. There are always somebody's stalled project on there, and most of the time can be had for a deal.

I agree, I don't know how many times I see projects where the motor and cab are sitting on the frame, maybe even as a roller and people quit on it...

my driveway....

weld on........[;)

Attachments

• DSCN5340.jpg
    DSCN5340.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 14
Be wary of other peoples chops with no windshield installed. Pass on any curved glass windshield chop unless the glass is already in it or at least cut. Even flat glass can be a mess if they didn't get the opening lined up right - but they are also easily fixed.

Title is a BIG plus.

Be wary of other peoples chops with no windshield installed. Pass on any curved glass windshield chop unless the glass is already in it or at least cut. Even flat glass can be a mess if they didn't get the opening lined up right - but they are also easily fixed.

Title is a BIG plus.

But Sam, we all have to learn that the hard way. You just can't explain it well enough to make the same impression as owning a cab someone else ruined.

Latest posts

Back