need alittle help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjangles

im in the process of pulling parts together to build my rat rod. but im having concerns on how im gonna title it and register it to make it legal so i can drive this thing everywhere =] so i have the title to the truck i pulled the frame from but im buying a cab from a junk yard. what all will i need to do to get it legal. can i just use the vin plate from the truck i got the frame from or will i need the vin from the cab i buy (which doesnt come with a title) I NEED HELP! WHAT TO DO HERE!

any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

Always best to go the legal route. Check with your motor vehicle department for the proper procedure. Most DMV have a website so you don't have to stand in line and spend all day tryin to explain what your tryin to do...good luck!!

Antique registration is usually the way to in most states. Usually no inspections, so no one is trying to check for a VIN.

If you have the title to that frame and can point to the number (it is visible) once the truck is done, I'd say you are in good shape.

If you want a title to that cab, the DMV is probably going to tell you that you need to apply for a bonded title. They'll issue a title and a bonding agent will guarantee it. You will have to pay the bonding company something ($300?) depending on the state.

Just google "auto title bond" in your city and talk to one of those guys. They know the drill since it's thier buisness. DMV people can be hit or miss.

A bit late now but, I would have registered the truck you got the title with then done all my mods that way you wouldn't be going thru this now [S
It''s a pain in the ars here in Missouri to go at it the way you are :mad:

Jim

Do it legal!!!!!!

The DMV will jerk you around till the end of times, but do it legal. Here in Colorado here are the hoops (this is in most states to) First thing is what do you want it titled as, the year of the cab or the year it was built. you can get a builders title but there is alot of paper work to do and alot of running. Both my trucks I'm having to do the same paper work on, the only down fall is the truck will be complet then I have to wait for the paper work (up to 90 days, because of the missing vins I have to get a state assigned vin, ) I used two trucks for each truck. I got a titles for both frames and had the title transferd to my name. Don't remove any of the # from the frame if you have a title for it. both cabs didn't have vin's (I made sure the bill of sale stated no vin was found and cab was gutted) Make sure to get a noterized bill of sale on the cab and what ever body parts you buy (this will help speed up the paper work) take lots of pics stating with parts (i.e. gutted cab from salvage yard) through the build and finished. I have to submit the title for the frame, bills of sale on cab and body parts, pics, statment of fact for new vin, certified vin inspection by highway patrol, certified weight slip and about $75.00 out of pocket. The big thing is check with the DMV in your state to see what paper work you have to complete. I found the Highway Patrol was more helpful then the DMV. The DMV wanted me to apply for a builders title first (to apply for a builder title you need a rolling frame with working stearing column and cab mounted to the frame. I had the 1st truck almost done before i had the column hooked up when I went for my vin inspection the HI-Pro told me to finish the truck reschedule the inspection and apply for a assigned vin, and make sure to tell the DVM that the hi-pro said all I needed to do was apply for the state vin, Only thing is it is more than likly going to be title as a 2011 ford (can't wait to get pulled over that is going to be a fun to explain. Most of all do it legal!!!!!!!! I have a buddy that pulled the title the frame and then mod the truck, Got pulled over the truck went to inpound, now he has to go through all the paper work plus pay inpound fees. sad part is he can't get his ride till it is titled. will have inpound fees till that date.

"I have a buddy that pulled the title the frame and then mod the truck, Got pulled over the truck went to inpound, now he has to go through all the paper work plus pay inpound fees. sad part is he can't get his ride till it is titled. will have inpound fees till that date."
Looks like my advice may have not been so good. Sorry
May be lucky but, I've never had any trouble doing it though :)

Jim

"I have a buddy that pulled the title the frame and then mod the truck, Got pulled over the truck went to inpound, now he has to go through all the paper work plus pay inpound fees. sad part is he can't get his ride till it is titled. will have inpound fees till that date."
Looks like my advice may have not been so good. Sorry
May be lucky but, I've never had any trouble doing it though :)

Jim

That's ok I know another guy that has 5 trucks, He used the titles for the frames to title them and has never been pulled over. Some guys have all the luck:confused:

You don't mention what state you're in and what year the truck is. Trucks before a certain year only had the VIN stamped on the frame if you catch my drift.

Toad

just completed the process in OK. I just had to keep all of my receipts, have bills of sales for all major body parts, and I went to the tag agent in our town and she gave me a paper with all of the instructions to follow while doing the build. I had to complete the project, have a total cost for completion on paper and three weeks at the office in OK city. seemed pretty easy to me, but all states are different. [paperwork in office, not me. ha ha ]

Last edited:
If you don'y go the legal route, good luck getting any insurance company to pay the claim. They look for the vin plate with the proper rivets, if any doesn't look kosher, they won't pay.

Latest posts

Back