Need Carb Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

First off i know nothing about carbs, so i had a freind rebuild my edlebrock 4 barrel in the 46 International and it wont run right. 350 small block with a edlebrock intake, 4 barrel carb, built the carb and installed it, it idels a lot better and starts alot better but when you put in gear and take off down the road it back fires thru the carb and acts like it is loading up real bad and i cant seem to get it cleaned out.....all ways like the choke is on(and i took the automatic choke off and put a man choke on it) PLEASE help me.....Thank you in advance

Well, I don't know the specifics of your carb and motor, but generically speaking, if you have a backfire into the carb, the timing is too far advanced during acceleration. And depending on the carb, a backfire can cause rubber valves to be damaged which in turn could cause excess fuel dumping. But, if the intake valves are sealing properly and at the right time, and spark is at the right time, there should be no chance for backfire into the carb.

If it's a vacuum advance, it may not like how the engine was timed for the old carb.

Really its kind of a guessing game without more info. What did it run like before? Is this the same carb, just rebuilt? Was anything else changed or tuned up besides the carb? Is it vacuum advance distributor? If so where was it hooked before and where now?

Latest posts

Back