need corvair advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcal

Hi All,

Does any one know any thing about Corvairs? I just recently purchased my first Corvair. I was going through the local want ads looking for a project, and I found this 63' Monza 900. The last time the car was on the road according to the tags was 1972. It has 44,000 miles on it. I was told that the engine in it is not original it is out of a 1962 4-door. I did get the original engine, they said the 62' engine install is a 90 hp and the original engine was a 110 hp. The story I got was they rebuilt the 110 hp and it was hard to start with no power so they bought the car with the 90 hp pulled the engine, put it in, and it was blowing oil out the dipstick tube. I hauled the car home. Messed around with it, managed to get it started. The motor ran but ran rough. Just like you would expect with carbs that has been setting for nearly 40 years. This is where it gets tricky, and where I need some expert Corvair advice. I had the fan belt off so the fan wasn't turning, no blow by, no blowing oil out the dipstick tube. It seemed that the carbs were coming back to life so I decided to hook the fan up so I didn't have to run in it in short spurts. I fired it up with the fan hooked up, and it was blowing oil out everywhere out of the dipstick tube! I shut it down, disconnected the fan belt problem gone. But now, when I go to start it, the starter just grinds like it is not engaging the fly wheel. I will put some pictures, and any advice or help will much appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,
Ken

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 17
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 22
if the engine is to much of a nightmare look into a modern swap, with a subaru engine, but the is a great parts surplus at corvair underground for the stock car

Rainman My buddy, Ralph said the same thing:D

sneakysnake I was thinking maybe the water pump hehe

Anyway I really wanted to thank every one here and over on the corvair page for helping me get this far the oil blowing out was the vent line had been pinched off. it still need a lot of work but its running and moving on its own thats a huge step in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIw_WUZXgOY

Latest posts

Back