Need help figuring out where to put exhaust

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadman440

Hey guys. I am working on my 37 plymouth pickup and need help deciding where to put the exhaust. I am going to run the main pipes exposed along the outside of the frame rail between the cab and running boards. My problem is I either want to dump the exhaust at the end of the running board before the tire, or flip the exhaust upward and build a stack behind the cab. i am not running the bed on this one. The running boards are line-x'ed. Would the heat from exhaust melt it? Also any one run stacks behind their cab? How loud is it inside the cab when driving? Having a heck of a time deciding what to do. Any help would be great. Thank you so much. Here is a pick of the truck.
photo1.jpg

I'd run them up inside the frame then out in front of the rear wheels hessian style with zoomies :p sans air shocks... nada... no mas on the air shocks.

it looks kinda low for lake pipes
Every truck I see with stacks that come up in any way other than by creating a gap between the box and the cab looks contrived and a stretch of design to incorporate something that doesn't quite belong there.
I've seen some come up through the floor of the box or through the steps instead of around the obstacles but there's still an element of make-fit compromise

Not that stacks are ugly or wrong just that the way it is done sometimes looks cobbled up.
Sometimes even a single stack looks right where 2 do not

I had a newer truck i went a different way with.
It was a supercab with an 8' box. I was going to shorten the frame to run a short stepside bed on it and runs stacks between the box and the cab. I was going to make enough room there to mount the spare or a tool box between the stacks.
I ended up starting over with a better body and decided to keep it stock

How come no-one says hessian anymore?
Back when I was in school if you dressed like the Fonze or Billy Jack they called you a Hessian.

He's not gonna run lakes, but run them between the step and cab. I'd go with the dumps in front of the wheels. I'm with T-mann on the stacks - usually doesn't look as cool as it sounds like it would.

OH ...Ok i see now there is missing sheetmetal between the steps and the cab...shiney makes good filler

Stacks belong on Semi trucks IMO, plus the drone will drive you nuts if you cruise long distances. How much room is there between the rear tires and the frame?? I you have enough clearance, run the pipes straight back and turn out behind the tire - to my ears, they always sound funny when they end ahead of the tires... So are you going to put on a flatdeck - don't give away that stock pickup box, they are hard to find for those trucks.

Im not a fan of stacks ether .

I would be concerned about heat and the line X lining . I had a tail pipe rot off on a toyota PU with it , after a while the stuff was coming off in chunks because of the heat under the box, could of been a bad install but it was a mess.

cool looking truck

Stacks belong on Semi trucks IMO, plus the drone will drive you nuts if you cruise long distances. How much room is there between the rear tires and the frame?? I you have enough clearance, run the pipes straight back and turn out behind the tire - to my ears, they always sound funny when they end ahead of the tires... So are you going to put on a flatdeck - don't give away that stock pickup box, they are hard to find for those trucks.

I was starting to think the same thing here. Run them back along frame and dump just rear of rear tire. Totally keeping the stock box. It is in way to good of shape to part with. I am going to build a wood flat bed. Love the way it looks. Once I get some stuff figured out I will post a build on the truck. Just haven't done enough to warrant a build.

The engine sits a little low in the frame so when the exhaust bends inward it hangs about 3 inches from the ground and has to go under a cross member. There is a ton of room to mod the headers to pipe into the front fenders then curve around and go straight along the outside of frame. Way more room than tryin to route it around all the things I have mounted on frame.

There is a pic on here somewhere of a full fendered sedan with the pipes running along the out side of the frame below the body and above the running boards. I thought it looked killer. You would need to cut openings in the back of your front fenders. If there is a straight shot past the springs you could run them all the way out the back with fishtails.

Split the pipes and run them up the cab!!!!!!

I have stacks on my Toyo and I love the sound. Howerver they do get a little anoying once in awile.[;)

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think I figured out my plan. I raised the truck just a little to help with clearance, then route the exhaust into a Y pipe so there will only be 1 pipe running along the inside of the frame. Then enter into 80 series Flowmaster hung behind the axle, exiting to two pipes that will dump behind the rear wheels. Kinda hard to explain in type, will post pics once I build it. Should work out pretty well.

Latest posts

Back