Need help, maybe carb.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod Mac

New here and need help. I have a 283 in my Rat and it seems to be hesitating or maybe missing from idle until it comes under load then seems to smooth out some. I have a manuel choke Edelbrock 600 on it. ( If I had to do over I would have gone with a 500 cfm ). Anyway I was wondering if I give you guys the specs. if you could tell me what rods and jets to use. At least get me in the ballpark. OK, here's what I got,,,,, 283 Chevy, flat top pistons, 327-350 Corvette intake, the 600 carb. blockhugger headers, running 5 lbs. fuel pressure, cam is 214 lift, 447 duration hydraulic, point distributor converted to electronic with a Pertronic unit, 305 Chevy heads, 350 tranny and 325 rearend gears. Well thats about it. Someone told me you can't go by the color of the plugs anymore due to the gas we now have. If this is true or not, I don't know, but the plugs almost have a pink color to them. The carb. is set up now with these,, Primary Jet .095,, Secondary Jet .092 and the needle .073 x .047. Once again any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance. Rat Rod Mac

Welcome Mac...sounds like an accelerator pump problem, don't know much about Edelbrock carbs, can you richin up the accelerator pump shot like u can a Holley?:)

Sounds like squirters to me. Bump them up a couple sizes. Easy to do on an Ed & if that isn't it, easy to change back.

ISore

The 600 is an "emission" carb. Change the accelerator pump spring up to the next size(the one in the 750) an change the accelerator pump linkage to the center or bottom hole and you will think its a new carb.

5 psi seems a bit high, shouldn't be a problem but if the needle and seat are a little worn it might be. I have never had to run more that 3-3.5. I have turned the adjustable regs down to 1.5 and the engine ran normally.

Latest posts

Back