Need help tring to repaint licence plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a pair of 1930 MA plates for my car. What can i do to repaint then make them look old. Ma registry sucks if they think they where a repaint they wont let you use them. and what colors should they be! How can i age them after i paint. I have done steel parts before but not painted. Help!

Ask your tattoo artist. Bet you a dollar he knows a guy who both airbrushes and has a rat bike/rod. Bet you another buck that said guy would do your pates up nice for ya. Just an idea, good luck.

I do custom airbrushing and pinstriping. I could give it a whack. Most people on here have seen my work. Can you post a pic to better describe what your talking about?

OK theres a new quad poxy on the market ,works perfect for this kinda crap .you gotta be certified to get it,it takes about a week long course just to figure out how to open the can.but when you get the can open the stuff is the bomb,make sure you wear a bag over your head and slip some rubbers over your fingers cuz the crap really make a mess, just dip the plate in and swirl it around a few times and it should do the trick . its the aging process thats the trick after about a month the plate should be dry, you'll no when the fume cloud disipates ,and you dont have to stop drop and roll to get in and out of you garage, now put the plate on the ground in or around your shop and take a leak on it,then tuck it away somewhere safe and dry ,somewhere like oh I dont no maybe the front pass seat of that rolling crap heap thats pictured next to your post, ps if your gonna do it in the summer months you might wanna leave your windows down till the aging process is complete, any other ??? just let me no Von patt

Last edited:
I will bag it

That must be the paint in the video I will have to use my Buck Rogers space suit and my Johnny Quest air tank to do this but i will do it in the garage with the space heater running full tilt. Thanks, Don't let them rust to dust

OK theres a new quad poxy on the market ,works perfect for this kinda crap .you gotta be certified to get it,it takes about a week long course just to figure out how to open the can.but when you get the can open the stuff is the bomb,make sure you wear a bag over your head and slip some rubbers over your fingers cuz the crap really make a mess, just dip the plate in and swirl it around a few times and it should do the trick . its the aging process thats the trick after about a month the plate should be dry, you'll no when the fume cloud disipates ,and you dont have to stop drop and roll to get in and out of you garage, now put the plate on the ground in or around your shop and take a leak on it,then tuck it away somewhere safe and dry ,somewhere like oh I dont no maybe the front pass seat of that rolling crap heap thats pictured next to your post, ps if your gonna do it in the summer months you might wanna leave your windows down till the aging process is complete, any other ??? just let me no Von patt

Doesn't sound like anything I'd ever want to use on anything. Why would you use anything thats a "bomb" it would blow your plate up.

That's an awful lot of work. Just paint what you need painted with OneShot Striping Enamels... Let dry ALMOST completely to the touch... dab a little reducer on it... throw it on the ground... step on it... slide it around with your foot... pick it up... it is now antiqued.

That other stuff sounds like a nightmare to work with. If I understand you right this should work just fine.

KD

Im not sure i understand the concept of taking an old pair of plates, then repainting them to make them look old. Why not go with the real patina?

It is because if theycant be read from 60 feet away they will reject them and you cant use them. I need to make they readable but not look like a repaint.

I just got a pair of 1930 MA plates for my car. What can i do to repaint then make them look old. Ma registry sucks if they think they where a repaint they wont let you use them. and what colors should they be! How can i age them after i paint. I have done steel parts before but not painted. Help!

White on Maroon

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_MA_GI3_1930's.jpg

I painted my 53 plates with OneShot then took a color pic and sent it to the DMV here in Michigan. $30 and they are lifetime plates for that car. They weren't too strict about a repaint, they never said yes, but I didn't ask and they never said no, just that the plate had to be the proper color.

Latest posts

Back