Need ideas on how to rake font end

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I got an '80 Honda cb750 super sport that I want to put a little more rake to the front end. I need ideas or suggestions on how to do this. What might be throwing me off is the triple backbone. There's alot going on at the frame just behind the neck.

just gotta cut it and re weld . Just make sure it's aligned straight and don't go too far or the rake and trail will make the bike handle light crap.

Couple of ways, simplest is buy a triple tree with built in rake some are even adjustable. Not sure they make one for your application though.

Second, hang your bike from rafters with chain falls with both wheels on ground, make a slice from bottom back side of neck then slowly let down until you have desired rake. Of course there's a little more involved like bracing sides so it stays straight, then fill in gap you created and re weld.

Couple of ways, simplest is buy a triple tree with built in rake some are even adjustable. Not sure they make one for your application though.

Second, hang your bike from rafters with chain falls with both wheels on ground, make a slice from bottom back side of neck then slowly let down until you have desired rake. Of course there's a little more involved like bracing sides so it stays straight, then fill in gap you created and re weld.

There you have it. I agree. Like mentioned before, try not to get it where you can't ride it. Good luck with it.

From the look of this, you can carefully saw a thin 'V' into the steel immediately behind the steering head, leaving an inch intact at the bottom. Stick a bar in the steering head and pull back on it. If you cut it carefully and accurately enough it should stay lined up as you bend it, or at least you can see if it moves off sideways.

F14445Z29.png

First what frame is it? Is the back bone round stock or pressed metal? The reason I am asking There was just an issue with one over on Chopper cult that was done that way. It was pressed metal and was cut the same way and welded. It came apart while he was riding it. Plus I have raked a lot of frame and had seen a lot of hack jobs.

If you know of a local bike shop with a frame jig it would be worth it. If you get the neck off center it can be a beast to ride. It would always what to go to the one side. Just remember that the neck is the only thing that is keeping the front wheel on the ground and your face off the blacktop.

First what frame is it? Is the back bone round stock or pressed metal? The reason I am asking There was just an issue with one over on Chopper cult that was done that way. It was pressed metal and was cut the same way and welded. It came apart while he was riding it. Plus I have raked a lot of frame and had seen a lot of hack jobs.

If you know of a local bike shop with a frame jig it would be worth it. If you get the neck off center it can be a beast to ride. It would always what to go to the one side. Just remember that the neck is the only thing that is keeping the front wheel on the ground and your face off the blacktop.

Words of wisdom here!![cl I would think twice before I would attempt a home rake and my recomendation is to leave it alone, I've had stretched and raked bikes before and when you start changing the engineered geometry of a bike frame, you change the handling and sometimes it doesn't turn out like you planned...in other words, they ride and handle like crap!:eek: I know some people like the big rakes, but this is just my opinion from 35 years of riding experience..:D...CR

cr55
I had a friend go done on the chopper where the neck broke at 60mph. He was laid up for over a year and still has issue. You know the guys who have both arm in a cast sticking straight off there body. That was him.

I told him not to use a spider web for the gusset between the back bone and the done tube. It should have been solid. It was his third ride on the bike when it happen.

......and when you start changing the engineered geometry of a bike frame, you change the handling and sometimes it doesn't turn out like you planned...in other words, they ride and handle like crap!....

As with anything, moderation is the key. If you whack a 24" over front end on, and 45 degrees of rake, you're obviously going to be in a world of hurt with handling and all.

A few inches, and a few degrees, is not going to make a massive difference, and as I have found myself it actually improved handling on one bike built.

Hard to believe that several people are preaching against modifications and welding and stuff, on a web forum that is dedicated to modifying and welding vehicles. :confused::confused::confused:

Moderation/logic/common sense: If you can't weld and fabricate, don't try to rake a motorcycle frame, or build a rat rod chassis.

3 or 4 degrees rake makes for a nice appearance and maintains the stock handling. As stated above if you can't weld have someone who can do it for you.

There are a couple of companies making 2, 4 and 6 degree trees for Harleys so you do not have to cut the neck. Not cheap but if your welding and fab skill are not there I think it worth the money.

There are a couple of companies making 2, 4 and 6 degree trees for Harleys so you do not have to cut the neck. Not cheap but if your welding and fab skill are not there I think it worth the money.

You can buy either raked yokes, with the fork holes at an angle.

Or there are bearings that are offset in the steering head a little.

Or there is some odd looking device that actually moves the lower bearing outboard a little ways. Apparently it works, but I don't really like the idea from an engineering point of view.

metric-sgle_small.jpg

Out of all seriousness....Talk to Ken over at Cycle Exchange....He is THE GURU when it comes to CB750's!!! Here is his website: http://www.cyclexchange.net/ Look around his site....I dealt with him in the past and he is a stand up guy and is very knowlegable!! I had a CB750 bar hopper using the "boxer" frame that Ken builds.....

but if you really wanna see how to rake a frame with a "triple" back bone (like the cb 750 and other metrics)..........
heres a Yamaha that we did....Just giving you an ideas.....

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

here is what the Yammy ended up looking like.....

jamiesBike2.jpg

jamiesBike1.jpg

dyco51

That chop looks good and strong. Great looking bike also.

Like I said before about the bike on chopper cult they just cut the frame from the bottom up and just bent the neck out and welded to thin metal plates on the sides of the cut. The plates ripped letting the neck to bend forward almost spitting the bike in half. luckily the guy was not hurt.

When they cut the frame they cut the the down tube and just let it hang lose under the plate. The down tube was no longer attached to the neck.

I got permission to use his pictures so her they are

Attachments

• broke neck.jpg
    broke neck.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 22
  • broke neck1.jpg
    broke neck1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 16
  • broke neck2.jpg
    broke neck2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 19
  • broke neck3.jpg
    broke neck3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 20
chop it

i have chopped at least 50 bikes at least half where jap bikes and most inline 4 cylinders 900 kaws and 750 honda's and 1 inline 6 cylinder honda. the easiest way for your frame is cut the down tubes on the front. put a block of wood what ever thickness you want let the frame rest on it. then cut some sections off another frame to go in between where you cut and weld it up. make some braces or gussetts just for extra insurance. i have never had one brake yet and 2 differnet frames i got hit head on on put the front wheel up under the motor.bent the **** out of the frame but it did not brake. i have made frames from scratch too. i will dig out some pics some day and post them. my 900 kaw chop i used to ride wheelies on and i mean stand it straight up with a 6 foot long springer front end on it. did it for years never broke the frame, choppers handle different then stock bikes. they dont turn well but they look cool and you either love them or hate them there is no in between. all i have ever rode is chops i love them i dont mind sacraficing the handling at all i will ride chops or i wont ride at all just me tho. heres a pic of a 77 flh chop i built and rode for years couldnt ride it stock hated it loved it after and a kawasaki ninja chop i did.

Attachments

• 73 flh chop.jpg
    73 flh chop.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
  • ninja chopper.jpg
    ninja chopper.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back