Need measurements on 37-59 GMC half ton front axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Freak

I am hoping to use this: http://shop.eztbucket.com/GMC-Front-Axle-Adapter-Kit-5016.htm

To mate up a Suzuki Samurai front axle to my frame. I'm hoping to use the batwings that come in this kit and use u-bolts through the holes in the flat mount to have a truly bolt-on front axle.

Can someone that has a half ton GMC axle get some measurements for me? First off, I'd like the 4 bolts that make a square where the factory springs bolt to. From what I've seen, that generation used a 2" wide spring, so the spring width should be the same as a Samurai. I need to know how much space there is between the bolt holes front to back to see if the axle tube will fit between them. I'd also like to know how wide the track width is between the two inner most bolts are right side to left side. If this doesn't make sense, I can explain further. From what I can tell, the kit will give me some leeway, but I don't want to skew the angles too much.

I know there are cheaper ways to accomplish this, but I'm not comfortable welding 1/4" brackets onto thin sheetmetal axles tubes.

48axle.jpg

Spoiling your fun. The correct dimension is 24 1/2" this was an old sketch we had and it turned out that the axle was slightly bent.

Looks like it may work with only slight modifications to the passenger side bracket. With the differential on that side, the tube is a little wider (3" instead of 2.5" for the driver's side). The width perch to perch would be a problem as well, but nothing a different spring can't handle.

Guess I need to start saving my pennies.

Thanks Ron!!!!! That was EXACTLY what I needed!

Latest posts

Back