Need Some Advice..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Rat

I have the Original V-8 Flathead with a 3 speed manual Trans In my 51 Ford "More Door" She's gettin pretty smokey and is in need of a re-build.. I have never done a rebuild on anything but Harley Motors.. I have the option to pull the motor and send it out to be rebuilt.. But the cost is seriously giving me second thoughts.. I can buy a decent Ford small block with a 3 or 4 speed tranny for a quarter of the Money.. And just set the Flathead under the bench for the time being.. How bout some input?

Well, its all up to you, does that motor make or break the look and feel of what you envisioned for that ride? If not, then I say go with the less expensive option, probably make more power as well..

You are going to get opinions all over the place on this one, but ultimately a lot depends on how and how much you intend on driving your car and what you like.

Flatheads have a certain amount of coolness to them because of their age and history, but I remember in the late 50's and on we couldn't pull them out fast enough and swap in a more modern OHV V8 when they became available. We were shoving Olds, Caddy, Buick, and sbc engines into them and flatheads became pretty much unwanted.

A flathead can be built to be reasonably dependable but the main problem is getting parts if you break down, especially far from home. They are also not the most powerful motor out there. I heard someone say one time "You will never spend so much money to go so slow." :D

The sbf swap is not the easiest into a 50 Ford because of the length of the sbf and where the oil pump is located, but it can be done. I am a Ford guy but have to admit a sbc is an easier swap. But with a little work the sbf will go in there and look at home. I think they still make motor mounts to do the swap, and you might have to lower the tie rod for pan clearance.

Don

I have a freind who did a 4.6 with a 5 speed in his 49 business coupe. It was actually in one of the first issues of RatRod magazine. It is a sweet ride and gets 25 mpg.
I love to see flatheads in cars and there is no replacement for that sweet cackle they make. When I started building my rpu I had a 51 flathead with overdrive that I was going to use but changed directions because I thought at some point I would like to drive it up the Alcan and sure didn't want to be looking for parts. Several years later the car now has a sbf and a 5 speed. It is almost road ready but I haven't driven it yet to give any impressions. My only grip so far is the length, I'd like the grill to be back 2-3 inches from where it's at. They are compact but kind of long. Most of the time you can squeeze on in if you use an electric pusher fan.

I drive the car pretty much every day everywhere I go.. Ain't nuttin like the sound of the Flatty with straight pipes..But a healthy 10 year old on a Schwinn could out distance me for a block or so till the Old Girl gets wound out..That get a little old.. LOL
I talked it over with Mama.. She liked the idea of getten a Crate Small Block.. Thought we could get it all ready to drop in and and do it 1st thing next spring..She actually wants to do it.. I think I'll hand her tools and let her give it a shot.. She did an great job droppen the rear end and changin lowering blocks.. Just think.. All this, good lookin and she cooks to.. LOL..

Might have to re-think this.. Cheapest new "Drop In" 302 I found was $3500 without bell housing, clutch, tranny, etc, etc, etc.... Maybe I'll get out the manual and just re-build the Flatty Myself.. Done enough Harley Motors.. Can't be that tough.. Finding lots of used small blocks with over 100k on em for a few hundred bucks.. Might as well keep the Smoky Flathead as do that.. HHmmmmmmmmmm

Like I said, I am a Ford guy at heart, but have you considered a sbc engine ? The crate motors start at about $ 1500 and are a smokin' deal and are very good motors. They also slide into a 50 so much easier and you could even get a trans adapter to use your existing stick transmission (if it is a stick).

I know everyone says the sbc is boring, overdone, blah, blah, blah, but they are also a great, compact design, parts are CHEAP and plentiful, and the motors just keep on running. NYC taxi cabs would put 300,000 miles on them and not think a thing of it.

The 350 Vortec I had in my 23 was probably the most dependable engine I have ever had in a hot rod and I even got 30 mpg one time on the interstate, but usually got around 25 mpg, and 20 mpg around town.

I have some experience with the low end sbc GM crate replacement motors as I put one in a guys Corvette one time and it was a lead pipe cinch to install as everything on the long block was brand new. It was the easiest engine job I have ever done.

Just a thought.

Don

Wouldn't have an issue with a SBC.. But I'm not finding a drop in any cheaper then the Ford.. have a place I can go?

Found this for $2500.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=19244450
But it's not drop in ready like the Ford.. Buy the time I got it there would be over $3500. and I still have to find a tranny, etc, etc..

I tossed an add out there on craigslist for a low to mid mileage smallblock.. we'll see what happins.. I've got all summer to find something..

Last edited:
If an sbc wasn't a great engine, we wouldn't see gazillions of them but in a Ford, just makes me walk on by. The throttle body vortec 350 would be the best, they last forever and get great mileage, like Don said. I still think you should consider the 4.6 Ford. Plenty peppy and great mileage, plus it's a Ford in a Ford.

I agree Willowbilly.. If I can find a decient used motor with all the attachments that I can drop in.. The Turn Key Drop in 302 Crate motor.. $3500. The other Crate motors are Bare.. By the time you buy an intake, carb, pullys, Brackets, starter, Alternater, oil pan. valve covers, gaskets, distributer,,,,,,,,, etc, etc, etc, etc, your at that or above.. I don't have a parts compatable motor that I'm replacing to already have all those parts........ One of the things I didn't consider when I hatched this plan to start with LOL

Last edited:
Ok.. Found a Ford 302 with 9k miles.. Guy sold me the Motor and Auto trans for $300.00
He answered the add I put on craigslist.. He's even gonna pull it outa the messed up truck it's in and call me when I can pick it up...

Ok.. Found a Ford 302 with 9k miles.. Guy sold me the Motor and Auto trans for $300.00
He answered the add I put on craigslist.. He's even gonna pull it outa the messed up truck it's in and call me when I can pick it up...

Did yu go hear it run or see that it's a good motor and trans?

pick up a 300 six aka 4.9
In the early 70's ford also made a 240 six.
the 300 is a 240 stroked with a taller deck
the 240 six shares similar bore and stroke to a 327 chevy and revs like one and you can still put a header and 4 barrel on one.
the 300 six can get up to 18 mpg in a half ton truck AND pull a car trailer or push snow
put a 240 head on a 300 for more compression
you can find a good 300 with an AOD tranny behind it for cheap or find one with a manual and put a t5 behind it.

My buddy back in high school had a built 292 chevy six in a c10 that would beat 350's regularly.

Cool deal on the 302. Nice to hear it run, but for 300$ that's almost scrap prices. You'll want the smart box and all the wiring too if you can.

4.9 with a turbo! :D

Latest posts

Back