Need some advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tackman

I have been unable to get some help putting my cab on the new frame. My only solution is the 6 × 12 beam in the garage. I think I can lift the cab with a few load straps over the beam, raise the cab and push the old frame out and move new frame under. My only concern is will the beam be strong enough and not mess it(the beam) up? I have removed everthing from the cab to lighten it up. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

what is the weight of the cab approximately?
a 6x12 beam is fairly stout
is it laminated?
those are much stronger.

Maybe you could put a couple of 8ft 4x4s under the cab,and add blocks or rims or something under the 4x4s as you go up to support the weight.

I've lifted heavier items from 2x4 engineered trusses, I span 3 or 4 of them with a trippled 2x4 and it supports the load just fine with a chain fall. If you are worried you can support the beam with 2x4 or 4x4 to the ground as well...

based on what I've read....

depending on the span of the bean.....if the beam was supported only at the ends and had a span of 7ft or less.... and if the lifting was in the middle of the beam it should support about 550lbs without an issue.....the closer the supports of the beam are / decreased span of the beam the more weight it would carry...try looking at this site and see how you decipher it....
http://www.awc.org/pdf/wsdd/c2b.pdf....seems light to me...6x12 is a huge beam.....

We just did it yesterday with two 2x10s for ramps and an engine hoist. One man can do it slowly and carefully with 2 2x10s, jacks and lots of milk crates. Once you have gotten the cab up to height just roll the chassis under it.

I hang wooden boats from garage rafters all the time and they weigh alot more than a truck cab.
If you are cincerned put a 4X6 upright on either side of the cab to suport the cross beam.
Just be careful that when you lift the cab you don't damage the top.
Torchie.

I have done much dumber things with a 6x6 spanning some trusses in the ceiling of my parents garage. Now with my own shop I get the opportunity to take stupid to all new levels!!!

I've lifted heavier items from 2x4 engineered trusses, I span 3 or 4 of them with a trippled 2x4 and it supports the load just fine with a chain fall. If you are worried you can support the beam with 2x4 or 4x4 to the ground as well...

Copy that. I've lifted all sorts of things with this method, numerous engines and believe it or not... a full-size Impala body. :eek: :D

I removed a VW Bug body from the frame by using a come a long on a Elm tree limb! And not that big a limb, either, about 6" diameter!

Easy.....

I lifted my 1955 C600 COE cab with my engine hoist. I opened both doors, ( take them off if you can), put an eye-bolt in each corner of the floor, stuck the boom in thru the door to the center of the cab. I used adjustable straps to help in leveling. I lifted the cab and rolled my chassis under it. Easiest thing I've ever done. You can check my build here on RRR. PM me if I can help with more info.

Good luck.

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks everybody. I used my engine hoist with a load strap from a flat bed. I took the doors off and put the strap thru the cab fastenedIit to the hoist and up she went.

Latest posts

Back