Need some advise - springs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Looking for some more experienced wisdom on my springs. Front is a Model A spring, it has some pitting on the faces of the leaves, just curious if others would think there is to much. I am questioning it, so it makes me wonder if I just buy new...

underside
IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Second issue, the T rear spring I originally had bought the main and 2nd leaf were cracked a 1/2" from the centre bolt. So I had picked up another main and second leaf. Just cleaned them up and rust treated them and assembled again. It appears there is a slight difference in the arch shape between the two. Not sure if this is a concern at all, it is a 3/16" gap or there abouts.

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Just looking for some opinions.

Both springs will be fine. You may want to pull some leafs from the stock front spring pack anyways, so just take the worst ones. The rear spring will settle together with weight & time as it works. No worries with either one IMHO...

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Even with the plans of a V8's weight would there be a need to pull a few leafs?

Probably. Put it together and see, but it will probably be too stiff even with a V8. Remember those springs were built for rough dirt roads! It's easy enough to pull them though. Just have to see what your car likes for the kind of driving you will be doing...

Latest posts

Back