Need some frame advice.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_darkside

I don't own this, but was wondering if I could do what I think I might be able to do, i'm new to customizing cars but I do have some welding, grinding and basic metalwork skills.
cut.jpg

So, what I was wondering, if I cut off the section behind what ive labeled A, then cut the piece ive just removed on an angle and weld it back together after cutting of the parts labeled C and then weld the 2 arms onto the crossmember either side of where ive cut then make a bridge piece for the crank to go under and weld the wheel section back on, will it work? Also, can i simply cut off section B with no issues?
front.jpg

Alright, this is what it looks like from the front, another question although i dont think im posting it in the right place, would this be wider than a normal pickup?
Thanks for all the help and this could be the deciding factor of whether I buy this or not.

Let me understand this. You want to cut the frame after the spring hangers and angle it up, essentially lowering the frame and rear of the car. Right?

This wouldn't work, because it causes three issues:

1) It throws your pinion angle off. You can shim to correct the pinion angle, but the second and third issues won't be corrected.
2) You want the middle of the spring (where the axle rests) to be as horizantal as possible. Your modification won't allow for that.
3) You want the two spring hangers to be on the same level as much as possible. Your modification won't allow for that.

The best way of lowering that frame is to cut it between the fuel tank brackets and "Z-ing" the frame. [;)

I hope this helps! :)

purpose first

Purpose first: Daily driver or weekend local shows... that rearend is not real practical and probably not easily found if there is problems. Wheel pattern...your limited. Tires.. costly I guess we need a little more info.

If keeping original and you are not going to haul two ton around every day. You can lose a few springs from the stack or replace with something from lighter duty truck, caravan or such. Cut the original spring pads and install on the bottom of axle.
This would be good for maybe 3" of drop.

Latest posts

Back