Need some help on rear suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

I`m to the point on my Rambler build were I need get a rear suspension under it. I had been planning on running ladder bars, but I want your opinions. I want a simple suspensions setup, one that rides decent, and that I can use the factory coils with. Right now there aren`t mounts on the frame or the axle. I will be changing the rearend, and doing all the welding, etc. myself.

1) I saw a setup that was solid with the axle(welded to it), I couldn`t see the other end in the pics, but I assume it was a heim joint(or something similar) on the other end. This seems to be a very simple setup for coils or airbags, but I don`t know how it would ride. I also don`t know what this is called :confused:

2) Ladder bars. Fairly straightforward, I have heard these have a decent ride with the right length bars. A little more welding than option 1.

3) ???

I don`t want to get into a 4 link, and I don`t expect it to ride like a caddy. Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated. This is the first suspension I have completely redone, and I need all the help I can get. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Johnson

trailing arm rear suspension is the name I believe you are looking for. smooth ride with great handling and traction . and no upper bars to worry about. there is a good installation story in the may 2010 rod and custom magazine. No Limit Engineering offers a kit that might give you some ideas

I thought that might be the name. I wasn`t sure though, and I perfer not to make names up for stuff. At least car stuff that is......

It looks like I am leaning towards that. I found a picture along the lines of what I was thinking of(EDIT: I was thinking of having the arms parallel to the frame, with the springs and shocks in their stock locations. I think the picture is called a truck arm suspension, but it`s been awhile since I snagged the pic off the web). It is a little fancier than what I would make, but it portrays the basic idea. Also, it looks like it has the joints on the frame side:
TruckArmRearSuspension.jpg

Would these be a good place to get the joints? It is a tractor upper link, and I could get them locally. They come in various load ratings. I was thinking that I could cut one in half and weld more length(DOM) to it to get what I need. I have been told that my car would ride well with either ladder bars or the like being about 30" long. I could get long enough links to use one on either side if necessary.
TractorUpperLink.jpg

Thanks,
Johnson

Last edited:
In the under car pic you have of the "truck arm suspension" , note that the forward sections of the arm are I beams and they actually are able to twist which is important to help it articulate properly since those front bushings only deflect so much. Note that there is also a Panhard bar to keep the diff centred. It's not a good idea to have the bars parallel to the frame, that would cause them to twist way too much, even with a heim type front joint, the joints would be under a lot of stress and would tend to work loose in the bars. Those tractor parts look beefy and are cheap but they are meant for connecting to farm implements, not car suspensions - the joints would be noisy and loose...

Latest posts

Back