need to slow down and think

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokhound

ok with that being said I have i believe all the big pieces to start my build a 47 CJ 2a. I am so happy the dot guy was here today and stamped my frame and stickered the body. So now i am on cloud 9 floating and wanting to start cutting some metal and stuff.[;)[;)

So here is what i have all the big pieces:
I have the frame and 30ft of square tubing also
motor & trans
front and rear axle
fuel tank
body

so where do you guys start i think the body need to be cut stretched so i fit better and the rear suspension works out and plus i was going to channel it 4"s.

[S:confused::confused:[S

Set the body on some blocks of wood so that it is sitting at the ride height you want it to end up at. Put the motor in front of the firewall, allowing room for distributor, etc clearance. Place some wheels and tires in spots where you think they look good, then sit back and stare at the car. Move things around a couple of times until you think you like it, then start measuring for what kind of frame will support the car at that stance and wheelbase.

Sometimes I use 2 x 4 lumber to build a dummy frame as it gives me a more defined look at what I need to duplicate in the final tubing. Wood is cheap and easier to modify than steel. Allow and inch or two more in front of the engine than you think you need because for some reason this area always comes up tight when you get the final stuff all bolted in place.

Don

lay it out in the shop and block it to a working height. I like to do a layout and leave it a couple of days and come back to see if I still like it when I walk in. Look at it from all angles and you will get a feel for the "rough in".
As it was already said, allow room for "extra" inches to fit all of the dressings on. Keep on keepin' on.
I sometimes get in a hurry and have to redo things because I keep my patience in a thimble and try not to use them all at once.

If you can, take the cab, wheels, and a grill or radiator out in the driveway and play a little so you can stand far away and visualize the length. It's hard to get good perspective on balance from 5 foot away.

what everone above said! plus take pics and post them!:D i also have a cj2a in the works ... alway nice to see how other guys are building them !

ok guys well i got the 63 out of the shop so i could work on this thing a little bit more. bad part is my motor that i was going to run wont work (jeep 4.0) or it might but i just dont think it will look right its to tall for my taste and so i am looking for a 350 or 302. hec as much as i really dont want to kill my 63 that 327 might go down in here.

so here r just a few mock up pics and i channled it 4" and i dont no that i like it. and you will see that this is a kit body so every thing was sheet metal screwed together[cl so channeling it was a snap and yes i sheet metal screwed it back together no point in tack welding it together to find i dont like it.

so to some pics.

here is the mock up pic before the channel
photobucket-9137-1332622858605.jpg

taken apart
photobucket-1003-1332622860092.jpg

well thats that i will have to post some pics of the body on the frame after the channeling and stuff

It's all good in willys land

Looking very nice. Sorry but it can't get to low. As for leg room, with the rear wheels outside the body i made the stock tubs shorter, one is a tool box, amo can, the other is the battery box. The seats all the way back and i have pretty good leg room. (6'1" 220lbs), mines channeled 6".
Running a mostly stock 302/C-4 and at 1900lbs it's fun to run =). A little scary over 100?
Have fun and keep the pics coming

Attachments

• Build 062.jpg
    Build 062.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 40
hey Rokhound

I am in the very beginning stages of a 1947 CJA rebuild. You are killling me with the almost rust free tub you have there. Mine is so rough that even patch panels wont work because they are too small. Yours looks like it is gonna be cool tho. If you hop over to the JP magazine website there is a fellow there that built a CJ2A and called it "sloppy seconds". It turned out pretty nice if you ask me. Yours looks like a winner to me too. Keep up the good work. Good luck with build, and keep the momentum going.

MikeC

Rokhound, soltz here, i'm guessing you were talking to me when you ask for inside pics. I'm going to attempt to adtach a zip file with a number of shots, it that does'nt work i'll do each individualy.
Hope these help?
Keep up the good work
see you down the road

Attachments

• Build 068.jpg
    Build 068.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Build 069.jpg
    Build 069.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Build 070.jpg
    Build 070.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Build 071.jpg
    Build 071.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 20
  • Build 072.jpg
    Build 072.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Build 073.jpg
    Build 073.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Build 074.jpg
    Build 074.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Build 075.jpg
    Build 075.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 23
  • Build 076.jpg
    Build 076.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Build067.jpg
    Build067.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 39
Thanks soltz thats what i need man sweet ride man. Mike thanks man it being a kit body is the only reason for it being rust free and the one jp did is what got me going on this.

i agree i think this is a great display of where less is more and all the chrome not my thing as well looks cool tho and i like the way its layed out.

o and to add to my build i was trying really hard to make it a 4 seater i have given up on this so that really going to help. it is just easier to reshape the floor shove the seats back then redo the frame and after closer review of all the jeep rats that i have seen thats what they have done once again i dont want to follow the norm but sometime you have to.

so what are you guys running for rear suspension i am going to use some kind of leaf springs frenched in the the frame to help get it low

Last edited:
Rokhound, here are some pics of how i set up the rear suspention. The fame and leaf springs are original willys, i moved them to the outside of the frame, flipped the axle on to the top of the spring and C cut for clearence. Over all it lowered it about 9 inchs.
Hope it helps something to think about
soltz

Attachments

• Rear Spring 001.jpg
    Rear Spring 001.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 10
  • Rear Spring 002.jpg
    Rear Spring 002.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Rear Spring 003.jpg
    Rear Spring 003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 9