New from Manitoba

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

38GMC

I've been a car person ever since I was twelve and that was has been a lonnnnng time.Had all kinds of different cars/trucks through the years,Built a 71 Dodge Demon 340 back to show car quality 8 years ago but scared to drive it because it might get dirty or scratch it,also I live about 3 miles down gravel roads.Just sold my business (repair shop gas station restaurant) and semi retired.I have a 38 GMC truck that I want to build and not to sure exactly where to start,I want to rod it so I don't have to worry about driving it on gravel or scratching it but I don't want it to ratty just a driver something that looks good from far but is far from good.I have a Dodge power train (Mopar Guy) 5.2 liter Magnum from a 95 Dakota and was wondering if anybody done one of these GMCs on a S10 or dakota frame and what has to be done or if it would be easier or cheaper to put some type of front end on the 38 frame.I know I can figure this out on my own but also looking for different ideas.Would appreciate any information of any kind for a job like this. Thanks for any info

I put a Mustang II on my 37 GMC.
There's a build thread on here somewhere with some of the stuff I did oh and welcome from the Wild West.
Bob

Welcome to RRR!

If you're a welder, fabbing up a new frame or at least reworking the front end is going to be easier than trying to force it onto a s10 frame. Not sure, but I think the s10 track width is a little wide anyhow.

Any pics?

Depending on the paint, some guys just clear coat over their old paint.

No pictures yet

Thanks for the welcome guys,I have no pics yet will start taking lots when the truck gets in the garage,just waiting on some different opinions and different ideas before I start digging to far into it and what type of parts or donor vehicles I might need

Welcome to RRR!

If you're a welder, fabbing up a new frame or at least reworking the front end is going to be easier than trying to force it onto a s10 frame. Not sure, but I think the s10 track width is a little wide anyhow.

The S-10 track width is not too wide. It is actually very narrow. On certain trucks the frame swap is easier than doing a front end. This depends on the cab you're using though.

I've been a car person ever since I was twelve and that was has been a lonnnnng time.Had all kinds of different cars/trucks through the years,Built a 71 Dodge Demon 340 back to show car quality 8 years ago but scared to drive it because it might get dirty or scratch it,also I live about 3 miles down gravel roads.Just sold my business (repair shop gas station restaurant) and semi retired.I have a 38 GMC truck that I want to build and not to sure exactly where to start,I want to rod it so I don't have to worry about driving it on gravel or scratching it but I don't want it to ratty just a driver something that looks good from far but is far from good.I have a Dodge power train (Mopar Guy) 5.2 liter Magnum from a 95 Dakota and was wondering if anybody done one of these GMCs on a S10 or dakota frame and what has to be done or if it would be easier or cheaper to put some type of front end on the 38 frame.I know I can figure this out on my own but also looking for different ideas.Would appreciate any information of any kind for a job like this. Thanks for any info

A friend of mine tried to go the S-10 route on his 37 Chevy truck, and ended up going back to the stock frame. The problem is that the 37-38 cab is pretty narrow, and it is narrowest at the point where the S-10 frame swings out for crash protection, right behind the front wheels. Some guys just cut the frame in this area to get clearance, but I don't believe in that being the best method. My '46 just fit with slight modification to the front fenders (not noticable), but the 37-38 are too narrow.

I can't comment on the Dakota frame, but they're not a chassis I would be wanting to use personally.

If I were doing a front clip, I would be looking into the ones that are based off Camaro geometry, not Mustang II. I've never driven an MII based truck that I liked the way it handles.

Another option would be to stick with your stock frame and use a dropped axle.

Welcome from next door.

Following ill advice, I bought an S10 thinking I'd stick my '38 Chevy sedan on its frame. Measurements proved otherwise. As 05snopro440 said, your truck (and my car) are narrow at the cowl...

attachment.php

Nothing fits your truck like the frame it came with... assuming its serviceable. Though I've never done it myself, I think the MII gets a bad rap on account of adapted geometry and/or incorrect installation. (Read: Ride height.)

Since you're on this side of the border, I'd give this guy a ring...

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/ws14540/

Attachments

• 46 chevy truck frame.jpg
    46 chevy truck frame.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Welcome from next door.

Following ill advice, I bought an S10 thinking I'd stick my '38 Chevy sedan on its frame. Measurements proved otherwise. As 05snopro440 said, your truck (and my car) are narrow at the cowl...

attachment.php

Nothing fits your truck like the frame it came with... assuming its serviceable. Though I've never done it myself, I think the MII gets a bad rap on account of adapted geometry and/or incorrect installation. (Read: Ride height.)

Since you're on this side of the border, I'd give this guy a ring...

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/online-store/ws14540/

I think the reason they get a bad rap is because Mustang II's were and always will be an economy car. You can dress it up all you want, but it still handles like an economy car.

Sure, some of them have updated geometry and handle better, but I have never driven one without bump steer (even those properly set up). Some of the older clips were much worse, they're getting better, but still an MII.

My S-10 swap handles and drives better than my '04 Avalanche, no bull! I have a hard time suggesting someone to build something with an MII when I know there are other (better) options out there, but to each their own.

Latest posts

Back