New guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

I was referred over here by someone on another board so here's my intro. I'm a 23 year old who fell in love with rat rods at the big show in ocean city md last year and haven't turned since. Recently began building a home with a 30x28 shop with 12' ceilings so I can fit a lift. Part of building the shop was selling my 2008 GT500 that I built mechanically from the ground up, it was over 800rwhp and made to run 9's in the 1/4. So much of what I did with it was trying to be the fastest gt500 street car yadda yadda, and I lost the fun and love of driving the car.... But going to the show in ocean city and seeing the rat rods reminded me of what I really enjoy, having a unique to me look, knowing every bit of the car, and being able to have fun.

So here I stand, I'm working on finishing my garage up, I have a bracket/street 2001 s10 that I swapped an LS2 into, and a 2010 ford raptor, and I'm starting to get the itch to build a street cruiser, something I can drive and take to shows. I've never really fabricated or welded, I do have a friend who is a professional welder and fabricator, albeit dealing with nuclear reactors, who is willing to help with the build. Not sure if this is the right post to start asking questions about what I want to build, how I should go about it and whatnot but I'm rambling! Anyways, this looks like an awesome board and I'm looking forward to learning and building my rod along the way!

Great intro, [cllet me be the first
It's alright to ask questions here but, better on the right one :)
Look at the home page and pick the one that best fits what you need to know about [P
Pics are almost a must here, some of us can't read or write [ddev

Thanks for the welcome guys, most of my questions are going to be about how to get started, what to look for, and what's daunting me the most is chopping the vehicle.

Bonehead, love the pickup! It's similar to what I'm picturing for myself, anyways I should head on over to the general forum

Welcome to RRR =)

I think your best bet is to go to the builds section, and find a body style or build that you like the look of and then start seeing how people go about the chops, we all look at each other's builds for ideas and methods.

Do you have any idea as to what you want to build?

Welcome to RRR =)

I think your best bet is to go to the builds section, and find a body style or build that you like the look of and then start seeing how people go about the chops, we all look at each other's builds for ideas and methods.

Do you have any idea as to what you want to build?

I have my whole powertrane/driveline wheel/tire/stance in mind but I'm torn on whether I want to do a 27-32 Tudor sedan (of which I'm not sure is right for the wheel/ tire I want) or a 30's pickup cab chopped and channeled with a long wheel base and no bed (I think that's called a bobber?)

Hello from Michigan...

Welcome to the RRR......nice place to hang out and gather info, tech and other ideas...and yes...they should be fun....not a chore...:D

Welcome XtremeS10:D. This is A great place and people. I just done my first chop of 6in and Iv run in to some problems and these guys here Have been A huge Help.

Welcome

Just got done reading a book just kidden :D welcome to the site you like to write more than I do . Hope you get the info you need any time on this site. Have fun also [cl [cl [cl

Well I'm putting together a list of wants/ needs/issues that I'm looking to plan around before I even buy a cab/grill, rear end, and front end. Sort of a check list if you will...

Since I want to run a wide tire up front I imagine I'm going to need some sort of power steering... So deciding on what kind of steering setup I'll need to decide on a pump and figure out how to work the steering correctly

I'm wanting to run bags, not sure if I need them up front since the idea is just to park the cab on the ground, if I need them up front I'll make a box setup hidden behind the grill, if not I'll run Quarter elliptical leafs (I wanted to do IFS at first but I want to run fender less so I nixed that) and then gotta figure out how that's going to affect steering that way as well. I have to decode between 4 link and ladder bars for the rear, I want the car to be as drivable as possible.

I need to decide how to construct the frame or even if I have the ability to do so safely. I'd like to run chrome moly for weight purposes, and I thought I wanted to do a dual round tube construction but I'll need to find a bender. I need to figure out a long wheel base that isn't so long that the grill looks out of place so far behind the wheels.

I still need to research what all is involved in chopping a cab and how cutting the glass works ect ect, and find a way to mount an electric windshield wiper to pass inspection. I also need to research channeling.

I need to get a parts list together of stuff I need to build a roller and figure out a budget on it. What do you all think? Am I headed in the right direction?

Welcome to RRR! Sounds like you're forming a serious plan. Find yourself a body/cab first. Don't channel either, Z the frame instead - those cabs are small already.

Latest posts

Back