new guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmac

Hey folks! Im new and have TONS of questions! I have lucked into a sweet deal. A 1953 Dodge Panel for free!!! It belongs to my moms husband (not my dad) but he said if i can find a suitable frame to put it on its all mine with a title. It currently has a 383 in it that is siezed up and a very good body. Ill post pics as soon as i can. My main questions are going to be regading a frame swap. I know that tbe S10 is the same wheelbase of 108" but i have never done a frame swap at all. So there will be lots of questions and research there. Can anybody who has experience with these give me any pointers? I want to do a mild lower so it can still be driven easily and possibly have it chopped a bit. Going for a very mildish ratrod look to it. Thanks!

Welcome to the site from Northern Michigan.
Best place to ask questions is in the appropriate sections. i.e. Frame and suspension or welding,ect.
Lots of great people on here wih a ton of knowledge.
Start a build thread and post up lots of pics.
Good luck and have fun.:D
Torchie.

As soon as i can get started on it there will be a build thread. Ive done a bit of scouring on here already and have seen a bunch of great stuff. Internet is great for networking this stuff! Im very excited about this build as its going to be my first experience with anything older than the 1978 bronco I finished. Im in Texas by the way. Anybody else near texarkana?

I have a friend with a couple of early 50s dodge trucks he swapped onto S-10 frames, seems to work out very nicely! Post up some pictures when you can, and welcome to Triple R

I thought about using the dakota frame if i could find one that had a hemi in it. Figured that way i wouldnt need to fab up new motor mounts and figure out where they need to sit or make it easier anyways. I dont know I dont have any frame fabrication experience. Outside of the mechanical this will be my first time with doing one of these. Thanks everybody!

Welcome to RRR! You can find it all here if you look! kinda like the "Alice's Restaurant" of rod forums....

Im not exactly sure. He has done some stuff to it in the past with the front suspension. I havent had a chance to get to it to really look. As it sits, there are weeds grown up around it. Goona have to pull it somewhere to get under it and look. He immediately started talking about the frame it would need so Im not going to second guess him until I see it. I was just happy he is willing to part with it for now especially for the price! FREE!

Also, ive been looking here and other places and will continue to do so, but I really would like to chop this a little, has anyine had expierience chopping a panel? The back doors and windows are whats making me think twice about it. Id like to see a project someone else has done to see the route they took just as kind of a guidline. Looking at some of these projects on here, most of you guys are way above my skill level with welding and body work!

Welcome

Welcome to RRR from Arkansaw…[cl
I have a 47 Dodge sitting on a S-10 frame, but I didn't do the swap… I started on a 65 C10 project a couple of years ago and I can tell you from experience… my skills in welding and bodywork have progressed nicely by getting my feet wet and jumping in headfirst…:D Confidence, attained through the knowledge of others willing to share, has prompted me to go from "install an engine and drive the wheels off" to "taking the truck down to the frame and rebuilding…":rolleyes:
Good Luck...

Hey Ive got friends in Searcy. I lived in Little Rock for awhile before I joined the Army.

Latest posts

Back