New meat...not old 1979 olds 98 regency

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch

Extremely dangerous with a torch!!!
Picked up a fairly clean olds 98 regency at a good price. the trippy interior and the black on back continued to haunt me and I even found a good deal on a set of 16" welds the same day I got it home.
It came in on a wrecker, it has a 350 diesel with a rod hanging out the the block
I'm debating...
I have a pontiac 400, could be a smokey and the bandit bluesmobile?
or I'm thinking pick up a core 350DX and build it right and get it back up and rolling with 30 mpg.
one things for sure...it's comfy

100_2152.jpg100_2153.jpg100_2155.jpg100_2169.jpg100_2172.jpg

Comfy.....

Hey Torchman.
Ain't a rat but great lookin' ride. Make a great family car. You might think about finding a donor Cutlass or simular car with a 350 and just do a quick swap. Just a thought.

Hi shakey, It's never an easy decision around here...

I like real bumpers earthman!
bling that goes blang!!!

I've been wanting to build one of those 350 diesels. I've had a few.
use arp main and head studs, arp bolts in the rods, get everything magnafluxed...
i neer knew the reason they leaked was the rope rear main. a 460 lip seal fits.

IDK...
here's what I've got
1986 chevy dually was a 6.2 diesel running a 350 chevy in it right now.
1977 f150supercab full time 4x4 with a 460 and everything to switch it over from auto to stick and part time 4x4
1968 nova project
this 79 olds

engines
1 new pontiac 389 with a clutch. .o60 over with 6x heads, headers, and edelbrock performer rpm setup, victor intake, or offy dual quad.

1 1977 pontiac 400 needs new gaskets and reassembled

1 1971 pontiac 400 needs fully remachined

1 460 in the truck 375hp@4500 rpm 450+ ft-lb @4,000 rpm and 10.75:1 compression built for natural gas dual fuel pipedream. runs like hell on 91 octane, pings like hell on 89 octane

1 stock 460 for a spare

1 late model 390 truck engine new .030 over and .010 under never assembled

and a 69 buick 430 with a th400 from a 69 electra might need re ringed or new pistons, never had it apart yet.

Now the dually runs great but I towed a suburban on the tow dolly from Omaha to Grand Island and it was foot to the floor and 60-65 mph all the way. the mileage was between 6 and 7 loaded and 12 empty.
The truck has 3:21 gears and a diesel th400 tranny.

The ford ran great. I went from 8 city/5 interstate with the 400m to 7-8 city or loaded and 9-11 mpg highway empty with the moderately built high compression 460.... with full time 4x4.

I'm thinking with the dually leave it alone underpowered and live with it...
I could put in the pontiac 400, I have a bop turbo 400 to do it with and the headers...
or put a 6.2 diesel back in...or take this 4 speed allison 545 I have in the garage and mate it to a perkins 354 turbo diesel and put that in the dually. that setup would be too heavy for the ford.

Now with the ford I mulled over dropping in a 300 six for mileage and decided no.
It could get the 390,
I could leave the 460 in it and see how much the mileage improves after installing the lockouts, 4 speed, and part time transfer case.
I could install a 6.9 or 7.3 diesel in it and beef up the front coils with airbag inserts.

I could get really freaky and install an olds diesel in the ford with an automatic but there is that lack of power thing...and it would be the most difficult to do for the least benefit of any kind.
I had one in a 79 chevy 2x half ton and it pulled like a 305 gasser. got 30 mpg but wasn't a workhorse.
the 350 d I had in my 82 eldorado ran great till I ran it low on oil. it was a leaker.
I have to keep my engines tight, I forget to check them sometimes

The purpose for looking for another car was to have something to drive if the dually breaks down. my suspension is worn and i don't want to ruin my tires.
It needs new balljoints and a frame busings and all steering linkages. about $600 if I go with moog or trw. $300 if I go with Oreilly's. My brother was a mechanic for 10 years and said moog stayed tight and the cheap ones did not.
So It's going to be down a while for that.

My options on the olds are:
rebuild something
Put in my new pontiac 389
reassemble my used pontiac 400
buy this running 350 diesel for 250 and drop it in
or go through a350 diesel upgrading the bolts and gaskets.

I think dropping the $250 350 diesel in is the cheapest and fastest way to get it on the road and it will, I'm certain, get 18 city and 30 highway.
I'm probably not going to swap a diesel into the chevy or ford any time soon but i miss having one around. I went looking at some older used mercedes and bmw's but those are too small for me.

I heard it said that the caddy 425 could get 22mpg. I know where i can get one of those too.
I wonder what that buick would do for fuel? prolly 10?
i forgot I also have a low mileage 200r4

with the 16" rims I can get some good light truck tires instead of the half tread ripoff car tires.
what do you think...white letters out or in?

I used to get 12-15 with my pontiac 400's in my firebirds and the grand prix's and 18 highway on a fresh tune-up. I wonder what one would do with an overdrive. I'd prolly have to give up the 69 gto cam
to get the power band back down into the range of an overdrive tranny.

I have a fuel oil furnace in my garage and will eventually be installing a 250 gallon diesel tank.

If I modified the oilpan I could wait and buy a 6.2 to put in the olds but with the 350diesel I can run cutlass headers on it. there's one guy on youtube put a turbo on his 350d and it's still alive. timing is crucial. too much advance...or getting a little non-compressible water in the fuel will stretch or bust stock bolts, even bend rods. I can get a luminosity probe that screws into the glowplug hole and lets me use my timing light to time the thing when its running. there's been over 20 years of advancement on the 350 diesel since it earned a bad rep. I liked mine better than my 6.2 till i killed it...killed them both :D not their fault but most people would blame the engine before they admit they goofed up.

so far I have 400 in the car 200 in the tow and 200 in the Greg Weld forged 16's
on track to staying on a rat budget even if it's a nicer ride.
planning to re dye the roof and work over the small rusty areas one at a time and blend in the paint. I might put in a new carpet it has a little mouse pee in it. the seats will clean up, throw a mexican blanket over the rear of the seat so it doesn't sun rot.
get a dash cover...the factory pad is perfect
definitely a new steering wheel. something simple and classic like black and chrome with a little dish to it. I don't feel comfortable palming a big lunky overstuffed wheel .
When I was putting on the tires it looked like the brakes were fairly new but rusted from sitting the 4 years since they threw the rod.
the tranny looks like it's never been out. who knows, she has 108k miles on her.
I love that interior...
I'm going to go sit in it before I hit the sack, see ya.

100_2174.jpg
updated pic (in the sun) of the welds on the car

2011-03-26 16.51.51.jpg
a pic of the $300 diesel regal I'm buying (waiting to hear on title)

scan0001-2.jpg
and a bad idea?

Those things are all but gone around here. They've been racing them for years on asphalt tracks.

It's amazing how welll they handle on oval tracks, and have very good front to rear weight distribution!! Even the more door's are getting scarce!!

Nice score!!

I had an 80 Olds diesel that I liked. I rebuilt the injector pump (myself), they're real bad about breaking the elastic connector inside and it retards the pump timing hence lack of power, if you loosen the pump while it's runnin you can advance the pump timing slightly (engine idle will increase set it back with adjusting screw) and they will come alive on power, mine would light the tires after that.
This worked so well a buddy of mine had me do the same to his with the same results.

Attachments

• Eyes & hand.gif
    Eyes & hand.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 15
ooooohhhhh

Lookie look what i found!!!!!!

Olds Mojave Interior.jpg

!!!only 600 cars ordered out of 1978 and 1979 with the mojave interior option.
I wonder if there's any loose bolts of material floating around out there??? I like it

Here's the $250 junkyard engine...

100_2175.jpg100_2176.jpg100_2177.jpg

I have this cheap lazy urge to cover it with easy off and install it like it is...or even put it in dirty lol

bad idea!, been there done that but why do i still want to?
Am I a sicko?

I prolly should pull it down and do at least a thorough cleanup, bearing roll in, new rings, get the heads checked and freshed up and do the head stud/main stud thing.

Looks like alot of miles on it...

P.S. ordinary cutlass 350 HEADERS are a BOLT ON!

Headstuds... quality gaskets.... grace the palm of a 302 mustang tuner for his used paxton blower running 3-7# boost and the cutlass headers...serpentine pullys....Yeah I'm a geek.

update

I've been waiting on another diesel. A guy has an 83 regal. I'm going to strip out all the diesel stuff but I've been waiting for him to find the title. after I gut it I think I'm going to put in the 430 buick engine I was holding for my gasser project (I sold the 63 skylark to my brother)

Another Stumbling Block

Dammit Dammit Dammit
12.jpg7.jpg0823111153a.jpg0823111243a.jpg8.jpg

Had a blowout on the trailer as was rounding the bend and the tires grabbed ahold of the edge f the pavement. Not the soft shoulder just the hard shoulder.
I-65 south of mongomery has been repaved but the shoulders have not. By design... super dangerous

Anyway the tire blew out at 70 mph then the hard edge where the traffic lane meets the shoulder grabbed the trailer and sucked the truck right into the guardrail.
I got the tractor back off the guardrail saving my life but the trailer didn't follow. It struck the bridge destroying the outer rims and bending the tandems at about a 20 degree angle. Once past the bridge the trailer steered itself down the embankment taking the whole rig over on it's side.

Luckily I had only been driving about 7 hours and just had a nap 45 miles up the road. Didn't get any tickets...
Everyone was saying looks like I fell asleep..If I had fallen asleep I'd be dead and probably in the creek on the left instead of the right of the road due to the curve.

Waiting for the Insurance company to determine if they will continue to cover me, and my boss is now short a truck. Everything goes back on hold...

At least I only got a little sprained up, Not my first Rodeo.

I was much more lucky than this poor soul. he had the same problem I did hitting an identical bridge 10 miles north of the one I hit
i65pre10.jpg

I missed this post T-man. I woulda suspected sleeping too, but it's best to keep that kinda suspicion to yourself anyhow. Good you came out of it alright, that coulda been a lot worse in split second.

I missed this post T-man. I woulda suspected sleeping too, but it's best to keep that kinda suspicion to yourself anyhow. Good you came out of it alright, that coulda been a lot worse in split second.

Thanks guys. I didn't bring it up everyone was like "musta got sleepy... did ya get crosseyed... etc. The state trooper says you look a little glossy eyed... i said my glasses are laying on the passenger door i cant see **** lol."
I havn't told my mom or dad. my brothers know. they asked why I want it a secret I said a cop doesn't tell his wife everytime a perp takes a shot at him does he?
I said I was sitting there not wanting to drive anymore when I realized...I didn't want to drive before the wreck either but I needed to.

waiting on the insurance company to decide if I'm still insurable then id so my boss needs to find me something to drive. they are short a truck. I like them they are nice people so I'm hoping I can get back going with them. They said they don't want to fire me over it.

It's official

I have an official rat rod...
A fella came knocking today with his boy asking what I was doing with the regency :)

Told him I was waiting on an engine for it and I'd have a nice solid 83 regal to pass on in a week or so. Told him the regal was a diesel and I was pulling the engine for the regency but had a 430 big block buick motor in the garage as well I'd sell with the regal if he was interested.

So now it's this...
Does he come back to look at the regal, or does he come back in a city tow truck cuz he knows the regency doesn't run.
He woke me up and my mouth got going before my brain lol

Glad your OK T-Man.....

Heck man, if you were gone, who would do up those in depth posts???:D

Just kidding.... do you really think he's coming back?? Which goes if he does?? Guess we'll have stay tuned for the next episode..[P

PAAAAAAAAAAAArts car

Another genuine rat rod. Interior stinks so bad everythign not welded down is going in the trash. Car has 34k miles sat since 1994 with a bad head gasket.
gonna tear the old 350 diesel down and see if it has any rust in the cylinders
I thought the car would be worthless but it'd make an excellent drag car or rebody for a gnx it is absolutely straight and rust free

gbody.jpggbody2.JPG

The fella had this Immaculate 1979 diesel eldorado he wants $5,000 for

eldo1.jpg

He also has a 56 caddy 4 door
A 1958 1959 Stationwagon
and a couple 58 59 chevy del ray 4 doors going for scrap if nobody buys them
I didnt get pics of those and he's an hour from me
I have his email and can call him to relay info

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back