Next phase need lots of advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUSTY50F1

@$$Fault Junkie
Ok Here comes the hard part. I have bought all the wiring 22 Ezwire kit for the truck, stand a lone wiring for the engine. Gas tank all lines. most of the brake lines, the master, valves for the brakes. Now for the next step. I want to chop the top. I want to take 5 inches off. I need all the advice and pics, and knowledge that you fellas have to offer. I have read all the posts I can find on RRR and have sent email to a few and pm's as well, so far I have not got any replies. I need your help. This is something that I am going to do. Not just thinking about it. But I want to do it right. Your help would be greatly appreciated. :eek::eek::eek:

Well, we have talked a lot of people through their chops here. Kind of like doing surgery over the phone though. We can give it a shot.

There are two ways to chop your top.
The first is to mark out the amount of chop you want and cut it, with the plan to bring the roof straight down. this method involves cutting the top in two from the drivers side to th epassenger side and adding back a strip of steel to make the windshield posts line back up. If there is a big difference in the width of the cab you may have to add a strip the other way too.
The second brings the top down as is and the windshield posts are notched and pulled back to line up the windshield posts. This slopes the windshield, and some people like the more sleek look.
There are other issues, like leaving the rear window full size or "mail slotting" it. I'll dig up some pictures.

Thanks Bonehead I want the post left and the roof pulled forward. I want a mail slot back glass. I want it to look like it has been chopped. The cab is off the frame and sitting on a 4x4 pallet with rollers. How do I go about bracing the cab on the inside to keep it in shape.

X brace in front of the dash, from the post to the floor. Also forward from the rear of the cab to above the dash on both sides. Also x brace the rear behind where the seat would be. That should do it, but you can always add more.

Here is the chopped version of your truck. Is this what you are going for?

This is however, slanted back.

Attachments

• chopped 50.jpg
    chopped 50.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 43
Here are some examples (chevy) of the cuts you will make. The splits on the rear quarters are to re-allign the rear post.

Attachments

• chopped chevy.jpg
    chopped chevy.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31
  • chopped chevy2.jpg
    chopped chevy2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 28
  • chopped2.jpg
    chopped2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks project40; Those are some great pics. Just a little more rad than i want to go but I get a good idea. I only want 5 inches out. Thanks :D

I think it would be better to bolt the body firmly to the frame or some jig. It will insure you a straighter body and better fit of doors and frame to body holes if you do.

Once that top comes off it gets pretty flimsy.

Don

Thanks Don your probably right. It sure would be a lot easier to do with it close to the ground. I'm not very tall. :D If anyone has any more pics of one in the process I'd sure like to see um. Thanks

Here's some good pic. of a slant chop. This type of chop has the advantage of not needing extra door and top materal. A straight chop requires material from 2 extra doors and extra drip molding. No narative with these pictures but a picture is worth a thousand words.
NewImageSmall-2.jpg

NewImageSmall-3.jpg

NewImageSmall-4.jpg

NewImageSmall-5.jpg

It is important for people to know that the great pictures above show a how to for a slant windshield chop with a fullsize back window. Also a set of extra doors are not necessarily needed for a straight dropped chop. The upright pieces cut out of the door may be used for those needed add ins.
Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Latest posts

Back