NHRA's Dixon walks away from scary crash at Gatornationals

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it was more than just the wings that caused that. They probably just helped it.

Either way, wouldn't want to be in the seat when that happened. I think I would need more than a fresh pair of shorts.

That's insane that it folded up like that. Probably be same safety regulations changed after that.

Glad the guys ok but I bet his entire body is a bruise.

them cars bow the frames on each pass, it is a wonder they last as long as they do. seems like the wheel base shortens something like 4" (if i remember right) on the top end of the track

Pics by Mark Rebilas...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dixon.jpg
    dixon.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 35
  • dixon2.jpg
    dixon2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 35
  • dixon3.jpg
    dixon3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 34
it's more likely they set the rear wing for more down force on a slippery track and over shot the mark a bit.

the rear wing is way behind the rear axle c/l and creates something like 2-4000 pounds of down force which will pick the front end up easily at top speed, so they add even more to the front wings and this is what you get when the frames are already stressed highly.

I was there the day before and only 3 or 4 made full passes, the rest just spun the tires shortly after leaving the tree. It was to the point that people were cheering just because someone made a full pass :(

When my Son showed me those pictures, I said "He died ?" and when he told me he walked away I was absolutely amazed (and happy).

Unbelievable that anyone could walk away from something so horrendous !!

Don

Latest posts

Back